Forumla to put filename (with no [ or ]) in a cell

Claire_Brummell

Board Regular
Hey,

I've tried the standard method for this.

I want the filname, without path and .xls in the cell.

But there's only one sheet so the full path is

S:\Brand\Third Party channels\Getty\Reports\06-10-17 - October Reports\Hallmark Folder - October Report.xls

As such the formulae using search functions and the "[" "]" as the tags to search for don't work.

I'm sure it's simple, just need help pulling out the right info!

Thanks,

Claire

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi

Thanks for this - however as I said the path doesn't have a "[" or "]" in it, and therefore this doesn't work (this is one of the options I was using earlier)

:)

Upvote 0
Claire define a named range (actually this will be a named formula) with the name DocName and where refers to is =Get.Document(88)

<s>Then you can just put =DocName in the cell.</s>
<sup>edit</sup> oops - you said w/o the extension, so =SUBSTITUTE(DocName,".xls","") <sub>/edit</sub>

<hr />
A.Lynn -- I think I liked yer other pic better or do you really look that much like Streisand?

Upvote 0
a simple formula:

=LEFT(FILENAME(),LEN(FILENAME())-4)
-Marc
:unsure: I am unfamiliar with any built-in function by that name [filename()]. And, apparently so is my version of Excel (2003), for it responds with #NAME? :unsure:

Upvote 0
A.Lynn -- I think I liked yer other pic better or do you really look that much like Streisand?

Ok on the Barbra pic. I even had a more recent one of me but thought it might scare some people, so put up this one instead.

Claire_Brummell - sorry about that some times you read quickly through the post and don't always pick up the entire problem defined.

Upvote 0
so Claire_Brummell does this give you what you need
Code:
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),SEARCH(".xls",CELL("filename"))+4,SEARCH(RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1)),CELL("filename",A1)))

Upvote 0
Audry -- does Cell("filename") return a path+name+sheetname with or without the brackets? For me it returns with brackets, even when the workbook only contains one worksheet. Eg: this is what I get on a test workbook:<ul>[*]C:\Documents and Settings\trubyg\My Documents\[book34.xls]Sheet1[/list]

This works for me:<ul>[*]=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"))+1,FIND(".",CELL("filename"))-FIND("[",CELL("filename"))-1)[/list]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back