Forward compatability problems in Excel

imported_unknown

Does anyone know of any differences between Excel 2000 and Excel 2002/XP that might cause errors when I try to set validation through VBA? I'm working in Excel 2000 and a co-worker, who is 3 hours away, is having some problems running my workbook.

The workbook and worksheet are both password-protected when the workbook opens. I unprotect them both (in the macro) when I want to change the validation, and the reprotect them both. It works great on my machine, but he's getting errors and some strange behaviors.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
That link is wrong. I guess you'll have to continue the discussion here.

The problems I've had are with more "severe" VBA error debugging.. for example, I've had a lot of errors when I used

Range("A1")

to get the value of that cell, now in XP I need to fully express the

Range("A1").Value

I don't know why is that, because the .Value is supposed to be the default property AND, also, it doesn't happen all the time, only in the most important program that I am creating right now... figures.

Upvote 0
Hi

To add: forward should be all ok ish, as Juan says VBA is iffy in any different version at points, in normal front end play up versions is fine, down is a disaster and really to be expected.

Test you work and if it bugs and you cant solve it post on the board some one will test and have some kind of answer in sure VBA somtimes need tweaking, evn from PC to PC this can be problematic

HTH

Upvote 0
now in XP I need to fully express the

Range("A1").Value

I don't know why is that, because the .Value is supposed to be the default property AND, also, it doesn't happen all the time, only in the most important program that I am creating right now... figures.

I don't know much about XP, because I'm impoverished and can't afford to purchase it. :)

However, it sounds like MS are trying to make VBA more consistent. I've always explicitly stated ".Value" as I feel this makes the code more readable. The other example that Bill posted was that when you turn ScreenUpdating off in XP, you now have to explicitly turn it back on again or else suffer the consequences. Any version of Excel prior to XP defaulted back to switching the ScreenUpdating back to TRUE.

Maybe MS are trying to make us less lazy. :) (or isn't that the whole point of macros)

Maybe one of the Microsoft MVP's that sometimes frequent this site has a bit more "insider" knowledge of backwards compatability for XP.

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-04 17:01, Juan Pablo G. wrote:

...AND, also, it doesn't happen all the time, only in the most important program that I am creating right now... figures.

Actually, I've found that too. I've tried cutting some code from that program and pasting into a new workbook and trying to recreate the problem, but I haven't been able to.

Is it possible that Excel 2002 or XP won't allow you to set a cell's value through code that causes an error in a different cell?

I have several things being calculated, and some cells on a hidden page are ignored while others are used, depending on which options are chosen.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back