Fractions

Pam Fleming

My question doesn't really apply to MS Excel, it applys to MS Word. I was hoping there was someone out there that might could answer my question. I am trying to type several different fractions in my document and if I type 1/4 Word will automatically convert it to look like ¼, but if I type 7/16 it will not convert it (you know...with the 7 raised a little higher than the 16). If I go to the charature map I can't find the particular fraction that I would like to copy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
if you select the "7" and set it as a superscript in Word (Format | Font then click on superscript) and then set the "16" as a subscript (same menu) it compares reasonably well to the "1/4" character - it might match a little better if you reduce the font size by a point or so, and that might take some fiddling, and may well depend on which font (and size) you are using. If you need to do this a lot you could probably write a little VBA routine in Word to set the portion of a selection before the "/" as superscript and the portion after as subscript and maybe change the point size... I have done no work with the Word object model, but someone here might be able to help on that.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. The superscript and subscript was the quickest way for me to go at this time.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Forgive me for resurrecting an old topic

But I was wondering if someone could help me write a macro to convert the fractions like this for Excel? I realize it will take some calculation time, but I need something that would parse through the used cells in a workbook, and convert 1/2 to a single character like it would appear in Word.

If there is a different place to look, please let me know.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back