free coding?

I know I am a bit cynical- I guess it comes from 10 years of database development experience dealing with poorly communicated or not completely analyzed requirements, which always come back to bite everyone.
In my humble opinion the really good Db and/or software developer learns how to nurture the client and help the articulate the requirements. The technology is the easy bit, learning how to deal with non-tech's is he tricky bit. ;)

Hi Roy („Warship“)
OP your comments are a bit condescending don't you think? I do... and insulting.

Apparently you find our help childish?
I too have ……….
Roy

. In my (extremely as new I am new here) humble opinion… You have made some extremely good general points and opinions that I fully agree with. But

……… You apparently are selfish by not giving.
If you are not learning by teaching, then I'm afraid your arrogance impedes you.

The mere fact you feel it necessary to question others' kindness and selfless acts calls into question your personality.

I wonder if you conduct yourself in this manner in real life, person to person.
My guess is you are a cowardly keyboard Rambo…..

. I think some of your comments are misplaced on ztodd. He is very new and never the less if You have time to view his profile You will see he has already made a large number of unselfish contributions, only asking himself once for a little help! And indeed in Post #5 he tried to explain himself a bit.
. Possibly he was just a bit frustrated with some poor feedback as I initially was as I discussed and noted here in Post #8.
. I think informing, advising and encouraging someone like ztodd is therefore more appropriate.
. I was “put right” a few times at the beginning. I am trying to be a good member as I like this Board a lot. It is something of a team work thing here, people doing as much as they can. Again, I think if you view ztodd’s contributions I think you should see he could be a very valuable member of the “team”.
. But at the end of the day I bow to the opinions of the moderators, MrExcel MVP’s and board regulars with many contributions (in that order). I believe because of the amazing amount of voluntary help that these people give, they have the right to “set the standards” as it were. Very strong (and somewhat personal!) comments like yours are better left in their hands. (I suspect a moderator may wish to remind you of some Forum rules).

OP your comments are a bit condescending don't you think? I do... and insulting.

Apparently you find our help childish?
I too have my actual mug posted here, though I am a kid at heart, so what.

I too cut-my-excel-teeth here on this board.
I have always gained 10 fold of any help I've given. I've been given so much why would I not give back?

We all learn from teaching, so in that respect I am selfish by giving. You apparently are selfish by not giving.
If you are not learning by teaching, then I'm afraid your arrogance impedes you.

The mere fact you feel it necessary to question others' kindness and selfless acts calls into question your personality.

I wonder if you conduct yourself in this manner in real life, person to person.
My guess is you are a cowardly keyboard Rambo.

Have a good day sir.
I hope you find some peace for your heart that you are drastically in need of.

Roy

I apologize to you Roy- I was joking with that last question I posted, but I should have realized it wouldn't necessarily come across that way to everyone. Just wondering if you saw my 2nd post where I tried to explain myself a bit more?

In my humble opinion the really good Db and/or software developer learns how to nurture the client and help the articulate the requirements. The technology is the easy bit, learning how to deal with non-tech's is he tricky bit. ;)
You're right on with that. It's interesting that "coders" are sometimes more highly paid than the front line requirement-gathering folks. I guess that may be because the coders are often included in that team - they would have to be, if the requirement gathering team is not detailed enough.

I can't necessarily blame the non-tecky requirement gatherers though- I myself don't always think of all the questions I need to ask until I've actually started coding.

Last edited:
DocAElstein:

When should it ever be appropriate to question one’s generosity?
I felt personally attacked and yes I did come back with both barrels blazing.

I took ztodd at this posting’s face value and reviewed neither his profile nor his postings.
In Post#5 I didn’t care to join in his self-admitted cynicism and Post#5 still argues for not helping.

Yes I’ll agree the Rambo paragraph was out-of-line and misplaced.
I hereby and therefore humbly and with humility withdraw that comment.

And listen Doc, thank you for knocking me back a notch or three.
I am here to help and make friends.

ztodd:

Your apology is accepted and my apology is offered.

DocAElstein informs me you are indeed generous and giving, thank you.
I’m sorry I judged you improperly.
But based on what I was reading though it seemed right at the time.

Any attack to this board or any of its contributors will always get my dander up.
I had seen a poster mistreated once but let it go.
I couldn’t stand idle if the contributors were under attack.

Jon, it sounds something like two aliens trying to communicate!!! I would hazard to say that most people would have some idea of what they want at the moment. The tricky part would be what they might potentially need in 6 months or 6 years. Given how quick technology (on your side) and industries (your clients side) change, i would think you would have lots of potential issues trying to get a scope on the new code.

The tricky part would be what they might potentially need in 6 months or 6 years.
Yes, there is that. But I also find very often the client attempts to describe a solution, and with limited technical know-how that solution in mind is very often still too limited or simply not practical. I desire that the problem be described, and that we work together to design a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back