free coding?

ztodd

Board Regular
Seems a lot of people come here to ask for free Excel development or VBA work.

I'm wondering why people always give it to them when it's apparent the person did no or very little research to work it out on their own.

How old are the kids on here answering questions?

I'm wondering why people always give it to them when it's apparent the person did no or very little research to work it out on their own.
For me, because I want to.
Sometimes, though, if a poster appears to have made no effort &/or is demanding I may choose to not answer. I only answer questions I want to.

For me, that is a real picture of me on the left (taken a few years ago too) so I'm definitely no kid. ;)

Seems a lot of people come here to ask for free Excel development or VBA work.

As a contributor to this site whilst I can only comment in a personal capacity, I think you have a slightly cynical view about those that post for assistance especially as to their age.

In my experience, posts I have assisted with are from adults who need help to make their working lives a little easier. Many may or may not have done research prior to posting but the whole point of a free help site is that contributors like myself are available to assist all users regardless of their Excel ability.

MrExcel has some very simple yet sound ground rules that posters & contributors must abide by but if as your post suggests, some may charge for their assistance you really defeat the whole point of the site. Beside, there is no guarantee of the quality of the solution that you are offered and if you are offered more than one solution by other contributors, who do you pay?

As for myself, I do it because I want to & now retired it helps keep the grey matter from going to mush!

Dave

Last edited:
I know I am a bit cynical- I guess it comes from 10 years of database development experience dealing with poorly communicated or not completely analyzed requirements, which always come back to bite everyone.

I know I shouldn't be this way for most of the small tasks people ask for on here- but sometimes people ask for something big and maybe haven't really even thought of the finer details of what they want, or sometimes it seems they haven't even done an internet engine search to look for existing solutions out there.

My experience has also taught me that people will always want more and more- so it may be best if they either learn to build the stuff they need or if they hire someone to take ownership of it.

My experience has also taught me that people will always want more and more-
That is certainly true sometimes here, and there are some notorious serial 'offenders' in that regard. Still, they are entitled to ask their questions and the beauty of a free forum like this is that there is no requirement to answer any question, so I mostly just avoid threads of those I know are likely to keep introducing new requirements as the thread progresses. However, if somebody wants to help develop a major project here, that's fine by me.

I came onto this site asking lots of questions and wanting to learn about VBA. A lot of nice people have helped me on the way. I now try to give back by answering some of the more simple VBA questions that others do not have the time to answer. This constantly helps develop my VBA skills. Win-win all round.

FarmerScott

PS a lot of people do appreciate the help and say thanks. I would even say the experts on this forum do learn form each other so it improves everyones knowledge and skills.

Last edited:
. Initially I was sometimes a bit put off after giving some long finished working codes and then sometimes getting no feedback. (But I realized that comes mostly from “none or one post new members" which accounts for almost half the members!! …http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/lounge-v-2-0/805892-lot-new-member-posts=1-today.html ).
. But as Peter_SS said, no one forces you to answer. Even with no feedback it was better practicing on a real life example rather than some made up example from a book.

. I for one am amazingly grateful for the help I have sometimes received. And when I “Get Better” I look forward to putting a lot more back.

Alan

Similarly to DocAElstein and farmerscott, I joined this site out of interest, and a desire to learn VBA.
When you try answering (as mentioned, you choose if you want to do this) you either nail it, or someone better does it right, and you learn from your "mistake".

I joined this site to learn, and that I have.
And as Peter said, if I feel like a member is basicly asking "me" to do their work for them I choose not to reply.

But again, some people are a quick Google search away from a solution.

However, I do love this forum, and when there is nothing particular at work that needs my "macro skill attention" I go here to get an outlet ;)

OP your comments are a bit condescending don't you think? I do... and insulting.

Apparently you find our help childish?
I too have my actual mug posted here, though I am a kid at heart, so what.

I too cut-my-excel-teeth here on this board.
I have always gained 10 fold of any help I've given. I've been given so much why would I not give back?

We all learn from teaching, so in that respect I am selfish by giving. You apparently are selfish by not giving.
If you are not learning by teaching, then I'm afraid your arrogance impedes you.

The mere fact you feel it necessary to question others' kindness and selfless acts calls into question your personality.

I wonder if you conduct yourself in this manner in real life, person to person.
My guess is you are a cowardly keyboard Rambo.

Have a good day sir.
I hope you find some peace for your heart that you are drastically in need of.

Roy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back