Freeze pane bug when using Alt pg dn /up

molfc10

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm using Office 365, and recently I've been having this issue that when I try to scroll horizontally with Alt Pg up/dn the view changes to the correct screen but my cursor goes back to column A.

I've tried the following:
  1. Uninstalled all add-ins - didn't work
  2. Safe mode - didn't work
  3. Unfreeze pane and refreeze pane - works if I'm scrolling from the first cell after the freeze pane, when I scroll from the cell before the freeze pane, it goes back to the old behaviour
  4. Reinstall Excel - didn't work
  5. Created a new Windows user account - worked for a while (1 day) and now back to that behaviour
  6. I thought it's got to do with the change input setting on windows by holding Alt + Shift key because it felt like the behaviour change after I accidentally triggered that, but I've now disabled the shortcuts to change input key but still not working
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I have the same problem. Mine's even worse though, page up and page down for vertical movement will also frequently jump the focus / active cell up into the frozen cell region.
I have taken to turning off freezes for the most part. I don't make use of horizontal paging nearly as frequently as I do vertical paging, but when I do the same thing happens that you describe. Also the vertical scroll bar misbehaves as well. I activate a cell in what should be the movable part of the sheet and then try dragging the view downward in this region using the vertical scrollbar. The frozen region starts to jitter like a Seattleite who's had one too many cups of coffee, and the moveable region plays hell to try and keep up with the scrollbar. Additionally, I've worked through the same attempts at your fixes numbers 3 & 4. #3 sometimes works, but is so unpredictable that I seldom have time to bother trying it. Incredibly, this problem is somehow specific to my machine. My co-workers are apparently not having this problem or not enough of them use freeze panes to know whether or not is a problem.

This particular machine is a Dell laptop that has delusions of being an iPad. I can flip the screen around on this laptop 180° and it is a touchscreen. However the back of what attempts to become an iPad, or, as Microsoft would have it, a tablet, is now a keyboard. Nope, doesn't work. Not even for just trying to use it as an iPad. Maybe there is some OS code lurking around that is creating this random problem.

Upvote 0
Has anyone figured out a solution to this bug yet? Having the same issue in Excel 365.

Upvote 0
I've since formatted my PC and it's now working again for me. I have my suspicion that it is one of the add ins that I have that caused the issue but it didn't work when I uninstalled the add-in. One thing to try is to see if you have hidden rows/columns in your sheet. I've been finding these days that sometimes the scroll button on the mouse doesn't work (ie scrolling up and down doesn't do anything but works when I scroll using the keyboard). This problem can be resolved by unhiding any hidden rows or columns in the sheet. You can hide it back again after unhiding. I wonder if this two problems are related so you can give it a go and see if that resolves your issue.

Upvote 0
I've since formatted my PC and it's now working again for me. I have my suspicion that it is one of the add ins that I have that caused the issue but it didn't work when I uninstalled the add-in. One thing to try is to see if you have hidden rows/columns in your sheet. I've been finding these days that sometimes the scroll button on the mouse doesn't work (ie scrolling up and down doesn't do anything but works when I scroll using the keyboard). This problem can be resolved by unhiding any hidden rows or columns in the sheet. You can hide it back again after unhiding. I wonder if this two problems are related so you can give it a go and see if that resolves your issue.
Thanks for the response, molfc10. I've tried unhiding rows/columns but still have the PageDown issue with panes frozen. Don't think I'm having any issues with mouse scrolling.

Can you provide a little more detail on the add-in you suspect might be causing the issue? I have a few add-ins installed that I don't really use, Adobe PDFmaker and a couple add-ins related to Oracle SmartView. The SmartView add-in seemed pretty janky when we were demoing it so I wonder if that's causing any issues. However, I feel like I may have noticed this PageDown+FreezePanes issue before I installed that add-in.

When you say you formatted your PC and it's working now, are you saying you did like a full Windows Reset and then reinstalled everything on your computer? Was hoping I wouldn't need to do a full Windows Reset but I believe that's the only thing I've seen people mention as a solution.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, molfc10. I've tried unhiding rows/columns but still have the PageDown issue with panes frozen. Don't think I'm having any issues with mouse scrolling.

Can you provide a little more detail on the add-in you suspect might be causing the issue? I have a few add-ins installed that I don't really use, Adobe PDFmaker and a couple add-ins related to Oracle SmartView. The SmartView add-in seemed pretty janky when we were demoing it so I wonder if that's causing any issues. However, I feel like I may have noticed this PageDown+FreezePanes issue before I installed that add-in.

When you say you formatted your PC and it's working now, are you saying you did like a full Windows Reset and then reinstalled everything on your computer? Was hoping I wouldn't need to do a full Windows Reset but I believe that's the only thing I've seen people mention as a solution.
It's a custom add in that I got from a long time ago. I couldn't really explain it. You could try creating a new Windows User account (ie step 5). That's like one step before formatting your PC.

Yes, I did a full reinstall of Windows - it was probably about time for me anyway as I've been installing loads of junk to mine over the years. Maybe you could try a windows restore point to a time when it worked for you - it could be a Windows thing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
almerpogi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back