"Freeze Panes" is grayed out.

jan001

Board Regular
A co-worker is working with an old spreadsheet - SaveAs indicates it was created, or at least last saved, in Excel 97-2003. Freeze Panes is grayed out and nothing I've tried so far has un-grayed it.

I did a SaveAs in 2010 (which is what we all have on our computers at work) to the format for Excel Workbook, so .xlsx. No help. It did complain that it couldn't work with an embedded image, but that image wasn't "mission critical". Other than that, it saved it as far as I can see.

The sheet isn't protected. It's in Normal view; I switched to Page Layout view and back to Normal, which I'd seen had worked for some to restore Freeze Panes, but no go.

Is it just that there's too much of a gap between Excel 97-2003 and Excel 2010? Or is there an easy fix staring me in the face and I'm just not seeing it?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Is the workbook protected?

Upvote 0
Do you have split screen on somewhere ??

Upvote 0
It's a single-sheet workbook. No existing split. Can't unfreeze/re-freeze because the Freeze Pane icon is grayed out.

What I did try and seems to have worked was that I copied the area contained in the print area from the original sheet into a brand new workbook, opened within Excel 2010. When I got that, I got the Freeze Pane back live again. Fingers crossed it stays good. If it does, it seems to suggest the problem may have to do with the original being created in a really old version of Excel.

Thank you, as ever, to the members of this incredibly helpful community!

Upvote 0
Freeze Panes is not compatible within the "Page Layout View". If you switch to "Normal View", Freeze Pane should become an active option. If however, you wish to remain in "Page Layout View", you may choose the "Split Pane Button" located to the right of "Freeze Pane".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back