Frequency of values in a huge asymmetrical range/ table

sauronbaggins

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi guys,

I have tried googling and the things that I know. However, I am not getting the solution. I have an asymmetrical data set of names. It has approx 20000 rows. Column A is never empty for any of the rows. The farthest column that holds a value in it is "HZ" (not all rows have values until HZ, meaning a LOT of the columns are empty. I made it a "Table" and tried to summarize with a pivot table but that doesn't work. What's the best way to find frequency of all the names in such a huge range?

To give you an idea of how the data looks, please see this table.

GameColumn 1Column 2Column 3
TennisBadmintonChess
Golf
TennisBaseball
BasketballTable Tennis
TennisGolf
Hockey

The output I want is this:

GameCount
Tennis3
Golf2
Hockey1
Badminton1
Baseball1
Basketball1
Chess1
Table Tennis1

If there is a way to consolidate/ transpose all the values across this range in a single column, that might also work. I do not have the list of all the unique "sport" values. The unique values run in a few thousands, so it is not possible to do it manually. I first need to create a list of unique values and then find the frequency of each of those across the range.

I'm not sure what you want. Is this the same as your original question, but if there are more than 4 items on a line, ignore the "middle" items?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I'm not sure what you want. Is this the same as your original question, but if there are more than 4 items on a line, ignore the "middle" items?

The solution you provided earlier worked for the first analysis. Now we want to look at the 1st and last 2 author frequencies. This is like an additional analysis of the same data.

" but if there are more than 4 items on a line, ignore the "middle" items? "

It is not that straightforward actually. The number of comma separated values ranges from 1 to a large number, i.e., it is not same and some rows might only have 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 values. I tried a number of solutions I got from google, but none work. I'm sure the answer lies in some nested formula to look and extract for the last 2 values using from right, but nested formulas get too confusing for me sometimes. :(

Upvote 0
If your data looks like your first post, this is too complicated for formulas. But again, I still don't understand what you want. If you can show some sample date, with some sample expected results, that would help. My current best guess is to do the same thing as the original macro, but but include a condition so that it only examines the last 2 non-blank items on each line.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back