FRetrySdmError ???

zzdave

Not strictly Excel, as it happens when I try to import data into an Access database, but as I understand it, it affects Office after a virus attack and can affect Excel and Word. Anyway - I cant get rid of the **** error box. I have uninstalled and reinstalled office, done all the upgrades and security patchs, searched the net, but to no avail. I use Office 97 and I beleive the virus we had was Bugbear.
If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for them.

The error again just says "FRetrySdmError" in a small box - nothing else.

CheerZz

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Denis,
Thanks very much for your efforts with this and I did indeed track down that page prior to posting courtesy Google. Mainly if refers to Office 2000 and the files are different, so the problem still persists. I reckon it must be a registry thing. Maybe if I upgrade to Office 2000 then uninstall that and reinstall Office 97....hmmm

Upvote 0
Hi again,

Thanks for the info.

Have You donwloaded some of the utilites that clean up the computer from the Nimda-attack?

Usually an uninstall/install process does not recover the registry from a virus-attack....

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Yeah, we have done all the clearing up (and a right ***** it was as well), and we are cleared now, but this error is apparently a side effect that lingers after the virus has gone. I read somewhere that you need to uninstall Office AND all the crap it leaves behind - if you know what it is. So maybe uninstall Office, then install an Uninstaller, then install Office again and then use Uninstaller to get rid of it and the legacy files then ......aaarrgghhh

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your help but the problem still persists. I may have to reformat to get rid of it. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back