from excel to web *interface*

miconian

I know how to convert info on a web page into a table in excel, and I know it's possible to publish a worksheet as a web page. But I want to know how to take info stored on a worksheet and essentially paste it into text boxes and such on a web interface (like, for example, the boxes we type in when we ask and answer questions on mrexcel.com...though the task at hand is not related to this web site).

In other words, I make a lot of entries into a web interface, which is a shame, because I already have an excel workbook with the same information that I'm entering. Sure, the format and the order may be different, etc., but, I think to myself, surely that's nothing that a macro can't take care of!

Am I deluded?

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Well...

The "clean" way to do this would be to bind your web forms to the spreadsheet but that would involve some server side scripting. If that is an option, please state so.

The "hack" would be to send your data from the spreadsheet to the web form(s) via IE automation (Assuming that you are using IE) or sending the data directly to the server using the WinHTTP COM library.

Questions...

1. Are you using Internet Explorer?

2. Do you have access to the server where these web forms have originated?

3. Are these web forms static? That is, they do not change or at least not very often.

4. Do you have Windows 2000 with at least service pack 3 or Windows XP with at least service pack 1?

If you answered yes to 1, 3, and 4 then I can help you automate the process of transfering data from your spreadsheet to the web page(s).

Tom

Upvote 0
1. Are you using Internet Explorer?

Yes.

2. Do you have access to the server where these web forms have originated?

No.

3. Are these web forms static? That is, they do not change or at least not very often.

Yes.

4. Do you have Windows 2000 with at least service pack 3 or Windows XP with at least service pack 1?

XP, SP 2.

I appreciate the help very much...

Upvote 0
Ok.

1. Check the box in post options "Disable HTML in this post".
Paste the HTML source in between code tags.

Or

Email me the URL and /or the HTML source for each web page

2. Show explicitly which data from which cells goes to which input controls on the web page(s)

Thanks

Tom

Upvote 0
I need the reverse:

I need to take data from a web page about books I sold and put the data into Excel. Each book has a different title, and buyer's addres, but anything would help.

This would be valuable to me.

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
Right_click: There may be confidentiality issues, and anyway, it's not as simple as a particular cell containing information that goes in a particular form. Which cell contains the info that goes into which form at any given time depends on a lot of things, and I will probably have to write some vba to even get the concatenate some data before posting it to the site.

Can you just get me started on the theory, and I'll figure it out myself?

Thanks...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back