From Word Document to Access

Babilv

Hi all!

I am new to this board and am excited about learning and sharing with you all. I have a stooopid question for ya:

Is there an (extremely easy & automated) way to convert a word document into an Access database? (my boss tends to think that a 21 page word document can be transferred to an Access database in an hour.

Please let me know as I am dying to learn if this is true.

Thanks so much for being here to help.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
That's probably why he's da boss.... knows a lot about nut'n.

If you import a Word document into Access, as your boss contends, you would have to import it into a memo field. THIS can be done within less than 1hr. The problem with this is that you've now lost all the formatting that the Word document had.. if any.... and the biggest issue, why would you want to do that? Now, your database contains a huge memo field... big deal. You can't run queries on the memo field (that I know of).

Why not create a hyperlink field and enter the path to the Word document in this field. The user can click on that hyperlink and open the Word document.... would look and feel as if the document were loaded in Access plus, all the formatting would be intact.

Upvote 0
Thanks MyBoo for your response.

I guess though that I was quite clear.....he wants to create a database using the fields from the word document form as well as recreate the form for printing in access.

I told him that I didn't know how to accomplish this without alot of copy/paste, creating a table for each of the forms. Additionally, I think to do this in a simplistic manner would take about 1 1/2 weeks to accomplish.

I also told him that if someone could do it in an hour, have them to teach me cause I'd love to learn!

Upvote 0
You can pull fields from Word into Access and you can feed Word via Access, but to set this up from scratch... within an hour, without ever having done it before, would be difficult... to say the least.

Open a new module and then open Help. Search on CreateObject. That will get you started. You then need to identify the fields of the document to be able to pull any data from them... and visa versa.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back