Front end boxes to input data

shaikhiy

Board Regular
Hi Guys,

I need some help from you again. I am trying to devise an automtic expense claim form. I have done all the back end stuff for it, but cos we have lots of people who find it hard to use excel, I need some way of creationg pop up boxes with instructions so that they can fill in the information , and then this infomration can feed into the back sheets already produced. Questions and Instructions like "Please type your name" and "IS your car petrol??",etc.

Any sugestions???

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Can you use comments to do this? If you use the >Insert Menu- Comments> you can put your instruction in the Comment box and use Validation to limit the type of answer accepted. You can also look at Drop Down boxes to slect things like Type of Car (Petrol/Diesel.etc)

Upvote 0
No, unfortunately I need soemthing more obvious. I have devised a sheet with all that on already, but my manager wants me to have something that a person (not excel minded) can simply input inofrmation with pop up boxes ( do they use VB for this??)

Upvote 0
Hi,

You would need to use VBA for this (using USERFORMs for the input screens. Based on the number of columns you have and the extent of editing you want done, it could be a sizable task.

Upvote 0
You probably want to use userforms, which are msforms, which can then fill up your spreadsheet. (Not trivial if you've no vb experience.)

If you have vb experience, you may want to design a wizard which takes the user through the input process with forward and back buttons, and then finally fills in all the relevant data in the spreadsheet.

If you go for this approach, you may want to 'draw inspiration' from the wizards which usually are installed with Word (for new fax document etc.) The forms and vba for these wizards are visible, and if you know what you're doing you can modify them to your requirements.

So it all depends on your level of expertise. If you don't know VB then I don't think designing a wizard is the project to start learning it with.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Upvote 0
Roy/Jim,

Can you give me an example of using USERFORM in VB. I am practically totally new in using VB, and would not know how to start using the function. If I see an example, i can start looking to amend it to use it for what i want??

Thanx for the help

Imran

Upvote 0
Sorry for sounding so stupid. I think I know now what you meant by using user forms (after I wnet into VB)

thankx for your help, will try and play around with it.

^_^

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back