Frontline v What's Best v ??

Joe2111

I have worked with some high end optimisation tools that allowed me to build some very complex models that were solved to optimise the business processes of my clients. These tools were very powerful but they were also very expensive. The models I built were large scale Mixed Integer LPs.

I am now looking at smaller clients who have similar problems but have much smaller budgets and are unable to really contemplate the sort of costs this software represents.

I want to use Excel with an add in such as What's Best or the Frontline extensions to Solver - or anything else that's out there that might suit my needs and my client's purse and I'm hoping that someone here might be able to offer some advice.

Thanks

Norie

Office Version
Platform
Windows
What are 'Mixed Integer LPs'?

What is 'Frontline'?

I assume by LP you mean Linear programming, but I think the last time I heard of that was when I was at Uni.

But 'Frontline', never heard of it.:)

Joe2111

Mixed Integer LPs are linear programs with the addition of integer variables. These make the models far richer but add significantly to the challenge of solving them. As I understand it, Frontline developed the Solver add-in that has shipped with Excel since Adam was a boy. They also offer a range of higher capacity versions that allow far bigger models to be created and solved from within Excel.

Norie

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Since Adam was a boy?

So that would mean he was born around 1990?:)

I'm not trying to be flippant but you've not really explained what you want to do, or what help you actually want.

Joe2111

Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I'm hoping that someone who is familiar with the packages I mentioned (Frontline or What's best) will read the post and be able to give me an idea of the pros and cons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fleyd

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...