Frontline v What's Best v ??

Joe2111

I have worked with some high end optimisation tools that allowed me to build some very complex models that were solved to optimise the business processes of my clients. These tools were very powerful but they were also very expensive. The models I built were large scale Mixed Integer LPs.

I am now looking at smaller clients who have similar problems but have much smaller budgets and are unable to really contemplate the sort of costs this software represents.

I want to use Excel with an add in such as What's Best or the Frontline extensions to Solver - or anything else that's out there that might suit my needs and my client's purse and I'm hoping that someone here might be able to offer some advice.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
What are 'Mixed Integer LPs'?

What is 'Frontline'?

I assume by LP you mean Linear programming, but I think the last time I heard of that was when I was at Uni.

But 'Frontline', never heard of it.:)

Upvote 0
Mixed Integer LPs are linear programs with the addition of integer variables. These make the models far richer but add significantly to the challenge of solving them. As I understand it, Frontline developed the Solver add-in that has shipped with Excel since Adam was a boy. They also offer a range of higher capacity versions that allow far bigger models to be created and solved from within Excel.

Upvote 0
Since Adam was a boy?

So that would mean he was born around 1990?:)

I'm not trying to be flippant but you've not really explained what you want to do, or what help you actually want.

Upvote 0
Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I'm hoping that someone who is familiar with the packages I mentioned (Frontline or What's best) will read the post and be able to give me an idea of the pros and cons.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back