function to determine next date months

KayCee

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi - I'm trying to see if there's a function that can produce multiple dates in one cell. For reference, I want to create a spreadsheet for meetings based on frequency. If I have an initial meeting date, is there a function that will give me subsequent quarterly dates for future meetings?

Welcome to the Board!

You can use the EDATE function to get the date exactly three months from now.
So, if you had a start date in cell A1, you could get the next quarter date exactly three months from that by putting this formula in cell A2:
Excel Formula:
=EDATE(A1,3)
Then, if you keep copying that down, it will give the next quarter, then the next, etc.
Whoops, sorry.
Overlooked the "one cell" part. That is what I get for trying to do too many things at once!
Looks like James and Fluff got you squared away.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.
I was working on this spreadsheet and realized I need to formula above to be an IF function for another cell. Will the formula above work with IF? For instance, IF cell I2=Semi-Annually then TEXTJOIN(", ",,TEXT(EDATE(E16,SEQUENCE(2,,6,6)),"mmmm"))

Upvote 0
I was working on this spreadsheet and realized I need to formula above to be an IF function for another cell. Will the formula above work with IF? For instance, IF cell I2=Semi-Annually then TEXTJOIN(", ",,TEXT(EDATE(E16,SEQUENCE(2,,6,6)),"mmmm"))
I also have three options.... Annually, Semi-Annually, and Tri-Annually

Upvote 0
How about
+Fluff 1.xlsm
ABC
1Date
227/01/2022AnnuallyJanuary
327/01/2022Semi-AnnuallyJuly, January
427/01/2022Tri-AnnuallyApril, July, October, January
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C4C2=LET(s,SWITCH(B2,"Annually",12,"Semi-Annually",6,3),TEXTJOIN(", ",,TEXT(EDATE(A2,SEQUENCE(12/s,,s,s)),"mmmm")))

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.
I'm having an issue that I didn't realize yesterday where the Tri-Annual isn't working properly. At first it wasn't pulling for tri-annual meeting dates and I realized it's because I left that out of the formula. When I added "Tri-Annual",3,4,4 it's now always pulling 3 dates even when column B doesn't have anything selected in it. If I change column B to either Annual or Semi-Annual, it will change accordingly but I don't want column C to display anything if there's nothing in column B. Do you know of a reason why column C would pull if there's no selection in column C? Below is my formula I'm using and a photo of what I'm getting when I use it. (I tried using the XL2BB feature and it's not working on my computer, unfortunately)

=LET(s,SWITCH(B3,"Annual",12,"Semi-Annual",6,3,"Tri-Annual",3,4,4),TEXTJOIN(", ",,TEXT(EDATE(A3,SEQUENCE(12/s,,s,s)),"mmmm 'y")))
1643732006190.png

When there is no selection in the meeting frequency for B5 I'm still getting a result in C5 and I don't want that. If I take out Tri-Annual in the formula, Annual and Semi-Annual work fine but it doesn't work when Tri-Annual is in the formula. Am I missing a ( or , in my formula somewhere?

Upvote 0
Try it like
Excel Formula:
=LET(s,SWITCH(B2,"Annual",12,"Semi-Annual",6,"Tri-Annual",4),IF(B2="","",TEXTJOIN(", ",,TEXT(EDATE(A2,SEQUENCE(12/s,,s,s)),"mmmm 'y"))))

Upvote 0
Solution
Try it like
Excel Formula:
=LET(s,SWITCH(B2,"Annual",12,"Semi-Annual",6,"Tri-Annual",4),IF(B2="","",TEXTJOIN(", ",,TEXT(EDATE(A2,SEQUENCE(12/s,,s,s)),"mmmm 'y"))))
This formula works perfectly for the cell I'm using it in, thank you! However, this seems to be the ever-evolving spreadsheet on me where I now need to somehow take the information that I'm getting in Next Meeting(s) column and transfer it, one month at a time, into another cell. I want to insert another column at the beginning so that it's column A and be able to sort by a single month based on the meeting frequency and next meeting output. So basically, since Joe Schmo gets 3 meetings a year, he'll show up on this spreadsheet three times. Does this make sense and is it possible?

1643823124108.png

Upvote 0
Can you show what your expected outcome is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back