Gap between ruler and left frame Excel 2010

wilcowoods

I should probably know this but it just hasn't come up!

I've just received a spreadsheet and on one sheet the ruler to the far left down the page is inset and there is a gap between the ruler and frame. At the top (just below the Name Box where you name ranges or set co-ordinates) and in the gap are two small squares with numbers inside. If you click on them they depress like buttons but don't appear to do anything.

Can anyone tell me what this is all about? I've also seen this gap between the ruler and the lettered rule across the top...

Thanks for any help!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Hello,
Sounds like "group". Try to zoom out and see if you can see any other abnormalities in that space. Or scroll as far as the used range.

Grouping is like hiding.

Could that be it?
Also what version?

Upvote 0
Excel 2010 - and you're right there is a little square with + or - open and close between the two groups. I haven't used this before so I'll have to investigate what's going on. Now I know it's called "Group" I can investigate...

Upvote 0
Yes, that should expand and contract columns in this case. This is also available for rows on the vertical.

Using 2007 here it is on the data tab...If that helps any as I have not used 2010.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. It's funny how many years I've been using Excel / VBA and I haven't used this!

Upvote 0
G'day Will, hope things are well with you!

Those buttons and + - boxes can certainly appear when rows (or columns) are grouped manually using the 'Group' feature on the Data tab, but they also appear for rows if Excel's 'Subtotal' feature (also on the Data tab) has been used.

Upvote 0
Hey Peter - good to hear you're still around on Mr Excel! Hope things are going well.

I'm investigating that bit of the ribbon as we speak - can't believe I've not played around with it before this - quite useful..

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back