General Excel Question

xMIKExSMITHx

I am currently the only person in my department who writes macros. I have a Toolkit_v_(latest save date)_.bas file that I have on a share drive for my colleges to copy and paste into VB editor. Each time I update the file, i.e. adjust to code for whatever reason, I email the team and tell them to copy the newest bas file into editor. However, some folks are not excel savvy and I am looking for an easier way to do this, update/push without them going into editor. My original thought would be to create an Add-In file with all the macros in it, but I don't know if this will work in the manner I speak of above. Thoughts?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
If you use an add-in, they'll have to copy that file over every time, but that's easier than updating a *bas file.
Not sure what you mean by "...this will work in the manner I speak of above?"
I often distribute add-ins to clients and when there's an update, just teach them to replace the file (with Excel closed). Never had any issues with the instructions.

Upvote 0
If you use an add-in, they'll have to copy that file over every time, but that's easier than updating a *bas file.
Not sure what you mean by "...this will work in the manner I speak of above?"
I often distribute add-ins to clients and when there's an update, just teach them to replace the file (with Excel closed). Never had any issues with the instructions.
Hi Starl,

Thank you for getting back to me. The manner I speak of I meant updating the coding and it automatically pushing to their excel. The current way I am doing it is as such:

- Problem occurs on someones computer
- I go in and edit coding on my pc and confirm code runs smooth
- Export module to share drive updating version file name with current date
- Email everyone to go to the share drive and copy the bas file into their editor

Ideally, what I want to do is just update the coding, and have it run without having folks having to copy the bas file and paste it into the editor.

I think I can do this by creating an add-in file with all the macros in it, and just install the add-in once on everyones computer. Because once the add-in is installed, doesnt it pull the coding from the source file? So essentially, as long as I make updates to the source add-in file, wouldnt it then run on everyones excel without them having to do anything? I am just not sure if thats how an Add-In file would work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't put an add-in on the network and have everyone share that - each user has to have their own copy.
Now - if you put it in something like OneDrive and it's installed from there, then that might work. Though not sure how Excel will react if you update the file while someone has Excel open.
Add-ins are single files (assuming you are talking about *xlam, though even a COM Add-in is distributed as a single file) - there's no separate source file

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back