General knowledge on datepicker - 32 bits vs 64 bits compatibility

kelly mort

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
So I developed a few problems with datepicker in excel currently then I have to do more reading about that object.What I found was that it does not work well on the 64 bits office versions.When I tried testing it on 64 bits office version, it said it couldn't load the object. Then when I went to design mode, my object (datepicker) was gone. I don't know where it is - it is just not accessible anymore.My question is, right now that the 64 bit failed to load the object, when I close the workbook and reopen it on a 32 bit system, will the object be loaded or it's gone for life?I am asking this question because I deleted the file from which the object was not loaded afterwards. Now, I am running 32 bit office version.Unless I have to reinstall a 64 bit to create the file with the object not loaded before reinstalling 33 bit back again to test for that.Then one last question is:Is it possible to check the office version (32 or 64 bit) on the open event and quickly stop the workbook from loading?That's a way I am thinking of, to prevent the workbook from trying to load the object which later makes it vanishes.All cooler suggestions are accepted.Thanks

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
If you didn't save the file, it would still work on 32 bits. You cannot code round this problem if the control is present when the workbook opens, so if you need to support 64bit versions, either load the control at run-time, or use/create an alternative.

Upvote 0
When you say "load the control at run-time, or use/create an alternative", what does that mean actually?

I am limited in understanding some of the terms you used.
:)

Upvote 0
I mean that you either add the control to your userform when it loads, rather than having it already present (will require more coding), or use a totally different approach, such as a separate userform with native MSForms controls to recreate a date picker. There are examples out there on the internet to save you time.

Upvote 0
The option 2 seems to be easier per what you just posted, can you get me some links?

My search is not giving me good results

Upvote 0
This link is very useful. Just a few test and I like it even more than the excel's datepicker already.:)

One question:

What's that calendar on the first sheet doing there?

Does it have something to offer to the code?

I am now reading through. When I get stucked I will call back here for tech support.

Thanks for the time

Upvote 0
I haven't looked at that workbook in detail so I can't say. I'm sure you'll figure it out though. :)

Upvote 0
I haven't looked at that workbook in detail so I can't say. I'm sure you'll figure it out though. :)

Sure, I did figure it out - it is placed there whenever a certain key is pressed with the reset button.

I am trying to adapt it to work for me.

Still reading through the code to understand it better

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
almerpogi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back