General question about VBA in Excel

VBA2010

Hi,

I've recently started programming in VBA and I find it very rewarding actually. I feel that i've come a long way in a short amount of time and thats great! But...
I've come to the conclusion that its very hard to remember all the commands and codes that the VBA language contains by heart. So my question is:
What do you guys recommend that I should do when I want to program something and there is some command or code that I want to use but cant remember? I mean whats the most efficient way to handle such a situation so that I can find a qualified solution to the problem without necessarily memorizing all commands and codes!

How do/did you guys do it?

Thx,

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
vba2010, persinally I try to guess the feature and see if VBA recognises it. Failing that I do a quick seach of the Help for something that 'sounds' about right. Next I'll use macro recorder and finally I come here if I cannot replicate it in Excel itself!

Someone on this board used to have a very helpful signature (and may still have it) - something along the lines of 'Repeat after me, ' The macro Recorder is my friend" '. Sound advice.

Upvote 0
I tend to use:
1. The object browser - especially the search box.
2. The macro recorder.
3. Reference books.
4. Forums!

Upvote 0
As rorya said, but also have a personal library of multi-purpose functions & procedures in .bas files.
No point in remembering how I wrote a piece of code when I can just drag it in from explorer :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick replies guys,

You all mention the macro recorder. Fx if I have a worksheet where I want every second row to be in 'bold', but I dont know how to do it - what would you recommend me to do?

Upvote 0
As rorya said, but also have a personal library of multi-purpose functions & procedures in .bas files.
No point in remembering how I wrote a piece of code when I can just drag it in from explorer :)
Where do I find this library? And what are .bas files?

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It depends which bit you are unsure of. If you don't know how to build the loop, then use a book or forum to find out. If it's just how to make the font bold, then look for the Font object, or search for Bold in the OB.

Upvote 0
It depends which bit you are unsure of. If you don't know how to build the loop, then use a book or forum to find out. If it's just how to make the font bold, then look for the Font object, or search for Bold in the OB.
What do you mean by loop?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back