Generate customized sequential numbers with if formula

Sissi

Hello,

I have a sheet with some data that populate based on some formulas and i want to create a column that will be used for unique IDs (ideally incrementing) everytime new data is entered.

The IDs should be created thus:
=if(a1=“51321”,(char84)& “the auto generated number”, if(a1=53202,(char54)& “the next auto generated number”, “”).

Can anyone help with this, please?
I know a macro will be the ideal but i am not too familiar with the types of coding.

Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.

JonXL

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
How's this?

Code:
=IF(A1=51321,CHAR(84)&ROW(),IF(A1=53202,CHAR(54)&ROW(),""))

Last edited:

Sissi

How's this?

Code:
=IF(A1=51321,CHAR(84)&ROW(),IF(A1=53202,CHAR(54)&ROW(),""))

Hi JonXL and thanks a lot for your reply,

I did try and the cells increment but I guess what I omitted in my previous post is that if there are empty cells between the results, I would like the next cell with a result to pick-up from the last number.
Right now, with this formula, the first couple of rows are like this:

T7
T8
Result in next cell is ""
T11
T12
T13
H16

I would like that after the empty cell, let's say for the result in T11, it should actually be T9, an increment of the last cell with a data. Same thing for the results between T13 and H16.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

Thanks a lot.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeino

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...