Generate List from Index Match that searches for a value in a field

Sarol

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I was given a spreadsheet at work that contains a list of counties and the states they are in. What I am needing to do is generate a list of counties in a given state. The catch to this is that there are some counties in multiple states. In my spreadsheet I created a drop down list for the states. Upon selecting the state I have the State Abbreviation in another field. I also count the number of expected entries to be returned from the data set. I am able to return a list of counties in the selected state, however, it does not return the values of counties in multiple states. It seems I am not able to post my sample spreadsheet, but here is an example of the data.

CountyNameCountyLocation
AberdeenSD
AberdeenWA
AbileneTX
AdaOK
AdrianMI
AkronOH
AlamogordoNM
AlbanyGA
AlbanyOR
Albany-Schenectady-TroyNY
AlbemarleNC
Albert LeaMN
AlbertvilleAL
AlbuquerqueNM
AlexandriaLA
AlexandriaMN
AliceTX
Allentown-Bethlehem-EastonPA-NJ
AlmaMI
AlpenaMI
AltoonaPA
AltusOK
AmarilloTX
AmericusGA
AmesIA
AmsterdamNY
AnchorageAK
AndrewsTX
AngolaIN
Ann ArborMI
Anniston-Oxford-JacksonvilleAL
AppletonWI
ArcadiaFL
ArdmoreOK
ArkadelphiaAR
Arkansas City-WinfieldKS
AshevilleNC
AshlandOH
AshtabulaOH
AstoriaOR
AtchisonKS
AthensOH
AthensTN
AthensTX
Athens-Clarke CountyGA
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-RoswellGA
Atlantic City-HammontonNJ
AuburnIN
AuburnNY
Auburn-OpelikaAL
Augusta-Richmond CountyGA-SC

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

As you can see for Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton they reside in the states of PA-NJ, and Augusta-Richmond County is in GA-SC. Here are a few formulas I am using.

My Drop down list for my states is located in E1, the State Abreviation is located in E2, and my formula for counting the number of expected entries is in E3. The formula for counting the expected number of entries is:

=COUNTIF(CountyLocation,"*"&StateAbbrev&"*")

CountyLocation is Column B of my data set, and StateAbbrev is a reference to E2.

The formula for generating a list of returned values (starting in cell H1) is as follows:

=IF(ROWS(H$1:H1)<=$E$5,INDEX(CountyName,SMALL(IF(CountyLocation=$E$2,ROW(CountyName)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS(H$1:H1))),"")

CountyName is the name of the county from Column A, CountyLocation is Column B.

If anyone can offer suggestions on how to get my INDEX function to match the state values in Column B it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone could tell me how to get permission to upload a file I would be happy to share my sample spreadsheet.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I would like to see a list of Counties (Column A) that are located in the state selected. So for the data set provided if the user selects the state of Ohio (OH) the following list would generate:
Akron
Ashland
Ashtabulat
Athens

If the user selects Pennsylvania (PA) then the results should be:
Allentwon-Bethlehem-Easton
Altoona

And if the user selects South Carolina (SC) or Georgia (GA) then the following would appear
Augusta-Richmond County

The issue is with the counties in multiple states where the states are listed as PA-NJ, GA-SC, or DC-VA-MD-WV as examples.

Upvote 0
I would like to see a list of Counties (Column A) that are located in the state selected. So for the data set provided if the user selects the state of Ohio (OH) the following list would generate:
Akron
Ashland
Ashtabulat
Athens

If the user selects Pennsylvania (PA) then the results should be:
Allentwon-Bethlehem-Easton
Altoona

And if the user selects South Carolina (SC) or Georgia (GA) then the following would appear
Augusta-Richmond County

The issue is with the counties in multiple states where the states are listed as PA-NJ, GA-SC, or DC-VA-MD-WV as examples.

Let A:B house the data (not shown), E:G the processing...

OHPASC
AkronAllentown-Bethlehem-EastonAugusta-Richmond County
AshlandAltoona
Ashtabula
Athens

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 70pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3328" width=94><COL style="WIDTH: 160pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7566" width=213><COL style="WIDTH: 155pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7338" width=206><TBODY>
</TBODY>

E2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, copy across, and down:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$52,
  SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("-"&E$1&"-","-"&$B$2:$B$52&"-")),
  ROW($A$2:$A$52)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS(E$2:E2))),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back