Generate range of time between two times

artvguy

Hey all... long time reader of the forum but first time poster. I've been banging my head against the wall for days trying to solve a problem I'm having and I was hoping one of you guys might have an answer.

I have a column with random times of day in ascending order (9:00am, 9:01am, 9:04am, 9:09am, 9:13am, 9:17am, 9:18am, 9:20am, 9:25am). With this list, I'm trying to figure out how to get the range of times in minutes between two adjacent times. For example, if I was looking at 9:00am and 9:01am, I'd type a formula in the cell to the right of 9:01am that would return 9:00am in it's own cell and 9:01am in its own cell. If I was working with 9:04am and 9:09am, I'd type a formula in the cell to the right of 9:09am that would return 9:04am in its own cell, 9:05am in its own cell, 9:06 in its own cell, 9:07 in its own cell, 9:08 in its own cell and 9:09 in its own cell.

Basically, I need to pluck out each minute (in hours and minutes in AM or PM) between two adjacent times of day in a column. These times change multiple times each day and I'm just trying to automate a portion of what I've been doing manually. I'm wondering if there's some sort of magical Excel formula that will work no matter what the range is between the two times.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi,

Try this, formula copied Across, if you need the formula copied Down instead, we'll need to adjust the formula:

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
19:01 AM9:02 AM9:03 AM9:04 AM9:05 AM9:06 AM9:07 AM
29:07 AM
Sheet600
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=IFERROR(IF(A1+(1/1440)>$A2,"",A1+(1/1440)),"")

Format result cells as "Time" of your choice.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try this, formula copied Across, if you need the formula copied Down instead, we'll need to adjust the formula:

ABCDEFGHI
19:01 AM9:02 AM9:03 AM9:04 AM9:05 AM9:06 AM9:07 AM
29:07 AM

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet600

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=IFERROR(IF(A1+(1/1440)>$A2,"",A1+(1/1440)),"")

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Format result cells as "Time" of your choice.

Thank you so very much for the reply and I apologize for the delayed response. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for the help!

Upvote 0
You're welcome, welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back