Generate round to nearest 2 interval (text) from 2 values

ooptennoort

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear experts,
I am trying to convert an excel formula into M for PQ but I think it cannot be done. I need to generate an interval (of 2's) from 2 values.

FirstSecondGreat resultIdeal Result
2.5​
12.5​
6-82-4;4-6;6-8;8-10;10-12;12-14
4.2​
13.2​
8-104-6;6-8;8-10;10-12;12-14
8​
1​
4-60-2;2-4;4-6;6-8
0.1​
4.9​
2-40-2;2-4;4-6
116​
117​
116-118116-118
34​
34​
34-3634-36
32.3​
32.3​
32-3432-34
5​
13​
8-104-6;6-8;8-10;10-12;12-14

The 3rd column would be great. (Did not even attempt the 4th column.)
This was my excel formula:
=IF([@Second]=0,MROUND([@First],2)&"-"&(MROUND([@First],2)+2),MROUND(MAX(0,AVERAGE([@First],[@Second])-1),2)&"-"&MROUND((AVERAGE([@First],[@Second])+1),2))

This is what I produced so far (when I ran into errors, esp. because of &):
= Table.AddColumn(Add2Interval, "2Interval", each if [Second]=0 then Number.ToText(RoundingMode.ToEven([First]/2)*2)
else if [Second]=[First] then [First]
else Number.ToText(RoundingMode.ToEven([Second]/2)*2-1)&"-"&Number.ToText(RoundingMode.ToEven([Second]/2)*2+1), type text)

Anyone?

To be fair, you did ask for M code at the start so it's not really a solution anyway and no need to mark it as one. To be fair, M code is a bit out of my league, I did start looking at it yesterday but got nowhere.

I don't know of any active forum members that are fluent in M code, the only one that was has been banned from the forum for some reason.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
So I'll leave it unsolved and hope this post serves as a lure to attract someone with M skills ;) Thanks again (so far ;) )!

Upvote 0
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    tbl1 = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"First", type number}, {"Second", type number}}),
    tbl2 = Table.AddColumn(tbl1,"Lower", each if _[First]< _[Second] then Number.RoundDown(_[First]) else Number.RoundDown(_[Second])),
    tbl3 = Table.TransformColumns(tbl2, {"Lower", each if Number.IsEven(_) then _ else _ -1}),
    tbl4 = Table.AddColumn(tbl3,"Upper", each if _[First]< _[Second] then Number.RoundUp(_[Second]) else Number.RoundUp(_[First])),
    tbl5 = Table.TransformColumns(tbl4, {"Upper", each if Number.IsEven(_) then _ else _ +1}),
    tbl6 = Table.AddColumn(tbl5, "Ideal", each List.Generate(() => _[Lower], (x)=> x<_[Upper] or x=_[Lower], (x)=> x+2, (x)=> Number.ToText(x) & "-" & Number.ToText(x+2))),
    tbl7 = Table.RemoveColumns(tbl6,{"Lower", "Upper"}),
    Result = Table.TransformColumns(tbl7, {"Ideal", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ";"), type text})
in
    Result

Book1
ABCDEFG
1FirstSecondFirstSecondIdeal
22.512.52.512.52-4;4-6;6-8;8-10;10-12;12-14
34.213.24.213.24-6;6-8;8-10;10-12;12-14
481810-2;2-4;4-6;6-8
50.14.90.14.90-2;2-4;4-6
6116117116117116-118
73434343434-36
832.332.332.332.332-34
95135134-6;6-8;8-10;10-12;12-14
Sheet1

Upvote 0
One step was unnecessary. Here's a slightly shorter version:

Power Query:
let
    tbl1 = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"First", type number}, {"Second", type number}}),
    tbl2 = Table.AddColumn(tbl1,"Lower", each if _[First]< _[Second] then Number.RoundDown(_[First]) else Number.RoundDown(_[Second])),
    tbl3 = Table.TransformColumns(tbl2, {"Lower", each if Number.IsEven(_) then _ else _ -1}),
    tbl4 = Table.AddColumn(tbl3,"Upper", each if _[First]< _[Second] then Number.RoundUp(_[Second]) else Number.RoundUp(_[First])),
    tbl5 = Table.AddColumn(tbl4, "Ideal", each List.Generate(() => _[Lower], (x)=> x<_[Upper] or x=_[Lower], (x)=> x+2, (x)=> Number.ToText(x) & "-" & Number.ToText(x+2))),
    tbl6 = Table.RemoveColumns(tbl5,{"Lower", "Upper"}),
    Result = Table.TransformColumns(tbl6, {"Ideal", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ";"), type text})
in
    Result

Upvote 0
Solution
Wwwwoww! Its that list.generate that is the esoteric part ;) I noticed you also check which of the two is the larger one (swapping these does not change the ascending order of the intervals)! Well done! Thank you!!!!!

(Now I am beginning to wonder what Great result (my excel formula in M) would look like. Should you want to give it a try... by all means ;) I would still make use of it (just less than the Ideal result (wow)!)

Upvote 0
List.Generate is a good function to learn. There are several tutorials on it from a google search.

The tbl5 step below adds the Great column.

Power Query:
let
    /* Function ShortCuts */ NRD = Number.RoundDown, NRU = Number.RoundUp, NTT = Number.ToText, NIE = Number.IsEven, TAC = Table.AddColumn,
    tbl2 = TAC(tbl1,"Lower", each if _[First]< _[Second] then NRD(_[First]) else NRD(_[Second])),
    tbl3 = Table.TransformColumns(tbl2, {"Lower", each if NIE(_) then _ else _ -1}),
    tbl4 = TAC(tbl3,"Upper", each if _[First]< _[Second] then NRU(_[Second]) else NRU(_[First])),
    tbl5 = TAC(tbl4,"Great", each let n = NRD((_[First]+_[Second])/2) in if NIE(n) then NTT(n) & "-" & NTT(n+2) else NTT(n-1) & "-" & NTT(n+1)),
    tbl6 = TAC(tbl5, "Ideal", each List.Generate(() => _[Lower], (x)=> x<_[Upper] or x=_[Lower], (x)=> x+2, (x)=> NTT(x) & "-" & NTT(x+2))),
    tbl7 = Table.RemoveColumns(tbl6,{"Lower", "Upper"}),
    Result = Table.TransformColumns(tbl7, {"Ideal", each Text.Combine(_, ";"), type text})
in
    Result

Upvote 0
What!??!!! Wow!!!! This is amazing. So different from what I was initially thinking it would look like (the Great result method)! I sort of recognise a let um function in a let function using function shortcuts. Are these variables (I may have seem some of this advanced M before)?
Wow. Thank you!!! Will study this (Puls & Escobar's new book is out, finally... not that I had time to read their 1st e.d. ;p but still)! Thanks again. Besides it helping me very much, and it showing this forum does definitely have an M expert, it underlines that Power Query can compete with VBA!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back