Generating a list based off of the first 3 char of a name

Tasty Mango

Hello all,
I'm attempting to make a formula that grabs from a list of parts and assemblies and generates a list of parts from the chosen assembly.
The mechanic is that all parts and assemblies have an adjacent column with their identifying serial (XXX-YYY) where XXX is the Assembly designation and YYY is the part designation.
For example a cup & ball toy would have the assembly code of 010-000, the ball would be 010-001, the string would be 010-002, the stick would be 010-003, etc).
I have a formula that lets me know the part count for a chosen assembly:
=IF($B5="","",(SUMIF(Page1!$D$7:$D$157,LEFT(VLOOKUP($B5,Page1!$C$7:$D$157,2,FALSE),3)&"*",Page1!$M$7:$M$140)-1)*IF(Page2'!$D$4="",0,Page2!$D$4))
This grabs the first 3 char from the serial (the assembly code) and counts only parts under that assembly family, and has worked rather well for me.

The parts list function:
{=IFERROR(INDEX(Page1!$C$7:$C$157 ,SMALL(IF(Page1!$D$7:D$157=LEFT(VLOOKUP(Page2!L4,Page1!$C$7:$D$157,2,FALSE)*3)&"*",-ROW(Page1!$C$7:$C$157)-ROW(Page1!$C$7)+1),ROWS(Page1!$C$7:$C7))),"")}
however has not worked at all.

Here's a breakdown of what I'm trying to do:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Page1!$C$7:$C$157 , [Checks the list of names for containing parts and assemblies]
SMALL(IF(Page1!$D$7:D$157=LEFT(VLOOKUP(Page2!L4,Page1!$C$7:$D$157,2,FALSE)*3)&"*",
[Grabs the first 3 characters of the part (the assembly designation) and filters out any parts not part of the selected assembly]
ROW(Page1!$C$7:$C$157)-ROW(Page1!$C$7)+1),ROWS(Page1!$C$7:$C7))),"")
[Generates list of qualifying parts]

Would any of you have a solution for this?

Thanks,
-TM

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back