Generating a random word from a list that is dependant on previous selections

DariaLoveborn

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

This is the first time I've ever posted on a forum but I've scoured the internet for a solution to no avail.

I am creating a character generator and require it to randomly select a skill from a list that is dependant on the character level and also previous skills selected.

(Ignore the data in column O for now, it was a test) I want it to randomly select 2 skills from the LVL1 section of column M. Then, In column P I want it to randomly select 2 skills from the LVL1 and LVL2 sections of M without returning any of the selections from previous results.

I'm semi familiar with VBA and with clear instruction I can pretty much put anything together. I just can't figure this out.

Please help.

Thanks

Jen

Capture.PNG

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
This is perfect and works like a dream. thank you so much :)
That's great and you are welcome. It helped keep me out of mischief.
Just out of curiosity, what on earth is that all about? Some sort of gaming I assume. Are you designing or is it an aid to playing ?

Upvote 0
That's great and you are welcome. It helped keep me out of mischief.
Just out of curiosity, what on earth is that all about? Some sort of gaming I assume. Are you designing or is it an aid to playing ?
I'm an elder for a live action roleplay group and we need a quick and easy way to generate a character sheet for an npc. This was just one tiny bit of the overall monstrosity that is my spreadsheet. I have no idea what I'm doing ???

Upvote 0
Well, I have to say, I'm none the wiser. Other than it sounds as if you and your pals need locking up! ;)
Enjoy, regardless.

Upvote 0
Another quick question, If I had to do the same process for about 11 other skill lists of varying lengths, can I use the same code? Or are there specific changes that I would need to make to it?

The full sheet looks like this:

Thanks

Jen

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    106.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Are you wanting to apply to one list at a time or apply to all lists at the same time?
Either way, the code would need tweaking.
Is the list for each character static?
You mention 11 lists yet your image of 'full list' only shows 6?
Did you tweak the code to include Lvl18 for Bard?

Upvote 0
Yeah the skills changed slightly for bard so Managed to amend it. There is about 11 classes that all have a skill list, I couldn't fit them all on the image.

Is it an easy tweak?

Upvote 0
Yes, easy enough if the lists are essentially static.
In Bard I effectively hard coded the break points of the levels, with the CHOOSE function.
Each list would need it's own top limit for the loop counter c and it's own Choose function, defining it's levels.
I would imagine that makes sense, since you have managed to tweak the Bard code and add the Level 18?
You did not answer.... will you be wanting to select selectively, one list at a time or, will you want to have code select all lists at same time?

Upvote 0
Hiya, I semi understand what you're saying. I'd want it all to run all lists at the same time.

Upvote 0
Ok. Can you download XL2BB that you will see top right of the posting menu strip and then use it to capture and post the relevant lists?
That way I get all the info I need and can copy it to work with.
Otherwise, I need Name, Column, and the last row number of each level, per each list.
I am off out now for an hour's remission and excercise walk :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bestresearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back