Generating and Printing a PDF from a Dynamic Form

insomniac53

Board Regular
I've written the code for a form which dynamically creates (and later removes) rows of text boxes. I now want either to print it or produce a pdf using vba - I don't want to use ALT-PRTSCR to copy and paste into another program. I would like a command button that does the trick. Previously, I've used:
Code:
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogPrint).Show
and this printed the underlying data tied to a worksheet. In this case, there is no single underlying sheet - the data is taken from various sheets and manipulated in memory. When I tried this earlier and used the Print Dialog command, Excel stopped working and just kept beeping at me. I've looked at other threads, such as:
HTML:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/737916-visual-basic-applications-save-userform-pdf.html
but before I get too deep, I would like to know if the experts here think this is possible, and if it is, what's the best way of tackling it?
Thanks.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I thought I'd answer my own question just in case someone stumbles across the thread in the future. The answer is no, as far as I can see - it isn't possible, or at least manageable by ordinary mortals, to print data from a dynamic form. The form data has to be tied to a sheet. This is frustrating as the whole point of my particular form was to dispense with the worksheet. However, needs must, so I had to copy the form data back to a sheet. Once there, the other two issues were printing and exporting to pdf.
Printing: this was straightforward with the 'Application.Dialogs...' line shown in the original post. Just make sure the correct sheet is activated.
Exporting: this was more tricky, but not terribly so. There are threads about saving to a PDF file, and after some research, this is the simplest code I found, placed in the appropriate form control button:
Code:
    Dim w As Worksheet
    Dim fname As String
    Set w = Sheets("[your sheet name here")
    w.Activate
    fname = PDF_FILEPATH & w.Range([your file name here]) & ".pdf"
    ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:= _
        fname, Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:= _
        True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=False
    MsgBox "File Saved"
It doesn't offer a dialogue box to enter a new filename, but in my case I didn't need it. The file name is in the worksheet and the path is in the string constant PDF_FILEPATH. What amazed me is that it worked, first time....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back