generating named data based on values

abz2786

Hi Guys

I am creating a master spreadsheet and need some formula help.

I am trying to pull through names of employees based on if they have a value against a project

For example

A,B,C are three projects on three seperate tabs. Person D,E,F are employees. Person D and F have logged time against Project A.

On the master sheet i have a created a column of projects (A,B,C) and want to pull through the names (D,E,F) if they have any values against the project below the relevant project. How do i do this?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi Guys

I am creating a master spreadsheet and need some formula help.

I am trying to pull through names of employees based on if they have a value against a project

For example

A,B,C are three projects on three seperate tabs. Person D,E,F are employees. Person D and F have logged time against Project A.

On the master sheet i have a created a column of projects (A,B,C) and want to pull through the names (D,E,F) if they have any values against the project below the relevant project. How do i do this?

Thanks

You could explain everything with real examples.

You could upload a copy of your file or images files to a free site such www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
Link is attached below

<b>BBC</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:60.83px;" /><col style="width:142.57px;" /><col style="width:43.72px;" /><col style="width:68.44px;" /><col style="width:74.14px;" /><col style="width:155.88px;" /><col style="width:108.36px;" /><col style="width:87.45px;" /><col style="width:88.4px;" /><col style="width:73.19px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td><td >I</td><td >J</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; "> </td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:right; ">Account Handlers</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Adam</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Alexa</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Amy S</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Annemarie</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Catherine</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Charlie F</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Charlie G</td><td style="font-weight:bold; font-size:12pt; text-align:center; ">Chris</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >BB01</td><td >Account Management</td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">2</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >BB02</td><td >Client Meeting</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">1.25</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td >BB03</td><td >Client Briefing </td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td >BB04</td><td >Client Planning</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td >BB05</td><td >Design</td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">0.5</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">3</td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td >BB06</td><td >Reporting</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr></table>

From the previous data what do you want to put on the sheet1 and how do you want to put them.
Missing examples of what you expect as a result.

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:60.83px;" /><col style="width:60.83px;" /><col style="width:60.83px;" /><col style="width:60.83px;" /><col style="width:60.83px;" /><col style="width:137.82px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td></tr><tr style="height:34px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">BBC</td><td style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">ITV</td><td style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Nintendo</td><td style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Sega</td><td style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Sony</td><td style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; ">Warner Bros</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
BBC

ABCDEFGHIJ
1 Account HandlersAdamAlexaAmy SAnnemarieCatherineCharlie FCharlie GChris
3BB01Account Management 2
4BB02Client Meeting 1.25
5BB03Client Briefing 1 1
6BB04Client Planning
7BB05Design 0.5 3
8BB06Reporting

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:60.83px;"><col style="width:142.57px;"><col style="width:43.72px;"><col style="width:68.44px;"><col style="width:74.14px;"><col style="width:155.88px;"><col style="width:108.36px;"><col style="width:87.45px;"><col style="width:88.4px;"><col style="width:73.19px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

From the previous data what do you want to put on the sheet1 and how do you want to put them.
Missing examples of what you expect as a result.

Sheet1

ABCDEF
1BBCITVNintendoSegaSonyWarner Bros

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:60.83px;"><col style="width:60.83px;"><col style="width:60.83px;"><col style="width:60.83px;"><col style="width:60.83px;"><col style="width:137.82px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

So from the data above you can see Adam, Amy, Chris and Charlie G have logged time under BBC. So on the front sheet i would like all of their names to appear under BBC.

Upvote 0
So from the data above you can see Adam, Amy, Chris and Charlie G have logged time under BBC. So on the front sheet i would like all of their names to appear under BBC.

Use this

Code:
Sub generating_named_data()
    Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet
    Dim i As Long, exists As Boolean, j As Long, lr As Long, wSum As Double

Set sh1 = Sheets("Sheet1")
    sh1.Rows("2:" & Rows.Count).ClearContents
    For i = 1 To sh1.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
        wname = sh1.Cells(1, i).Value
        exists = False
        For Each sh In Sheets
            If LCase(sh.Name) = LCase(wname) Then
                For j = 3 To sh.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
                    lr = sh.Cells(Rows.Count, j).End(xlUp).Row
                    If lr < 3 Then lr = 3
                    wSum = WorksheetFunction.Sum(sh.Range(sh.Cells(3, j), sh.Cells(lr, j)))
                    If wSum <> 0 Then
                        sh1.Cells(Rows.Count, i).End(xlUp)(2).Value = sh.Cells(1, j)
                    End If
                Next
                Exit For
            End If
        Next
    Next
    MsgBox "End"
End Sub

the example below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze9o6qp3y1pfq8k/Book1 dam.xlsm?dl=0

Upvote 0
Use this

Code:
Sub generating_named_data()
    Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet
    Dim i As Long, exists As Boolean, j As Long, lr As Long, wSum As Double

Set sh1 = Sheets("Sheet1")
    sh1.Rows("2:" & Rows.Count).ClearContents
    For i = 1 To sh1.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
        wname = sh1.Cells(1, i).Value
        exists = False
        For Each sh In Sheets
            If LCase(sh.Name) = LCase(wname) Then
                For j = 3 To sh.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
                    lr = sh.Cells(Rows.Count, j).End(xlUp).Row
                    If lr < 3 Then lr = 3
                    wSum = WorksheetFunction.Sum(sh.Range(sh.Cells(3, j), sh.Cells(lr, j)))
                    If wSum <> 0 Then
                        sh1.Cells(Rows.Count, i).End(xlUp)(2).Value = sh.Cells(1, j)
                    End If
                Next
                Exit For
            End If
        Next
    Next
    MsgBox "End"
End Sub

the example below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze9o6qp3y1pfq8k/Book1 dam.xlsm?dl=0

Thank you for this.

Would you be able to apply this macro to the below link under the overview tab as this is the actual sheet i will be using.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v27n5iqq8uvq5x/Capacity Plans.xls?dl=0

Thanks

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
the only thing that differs is the name of the tabs, client names. Which lines on the macro need to be updated to reflect this?

Only the name of Sheet1 changes
Code:
Set sh1 = Sheets("[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheet1[/COLOR]")

If everything else is like the sheet you sent me, the macro should not have problems.
Take a test

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back