Get Dates for All Mondays in a Month

Kesey

Hello,

I'm working on a project where I request a Month (always the first of the month) and a day of the week from the user. Based on that date and day, I want to write out all of the Mondays (if that's the day entered) of the month to separate cells.

So for example, the user enters 4/1/2010 into cell A1 and Monday into cell A2. I would like a macro to write all of the Mondays in April to cells column B. Once the macro runs, column B should contain 4/5/2010, 4/12/2010, 4/19/2010, and 4/26/2010.

Similarly if the user entered 4/1/2010 and Wednesday, the macro would write 4/7/2010, 4/14/2010, 4/21/2010, and 4/28/2010 to cells in column B.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Macro may not be needed, but I'll have a look tomorrow, in the meantime, these in cells B1:B5:
Code:
=DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1+(([B][COLOR=Red]1[/COLOR][/B]-(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)>=WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))*7)+(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))
=DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1+(([B][COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR][/B]-(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)>=WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))*7)+(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))
=DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1+(([B][COLOR=Red]3[/COLOR][/B]-(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)>=WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))*7)+(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))
=DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1+(([COLOR=Red][B]4[/B][/COLOR]-(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)>=WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))*7)+(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))
=DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1+(([B][COLOR=Red]5[/COLOR][/B]-(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)>=WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))*7)+(MATCH(LEFT($A$2,3),{"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"},0)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR($A$1),MONTH($A$1),1))))
There's only one character difference in each.
In some months the 5th row will encroach into the following month.
It uses only the first 3 characters of A2, so long and short day names will work.

Upvote 0
You could write a macro that uses a "select case" statement. Then you could have the macro cycle though each of the days in the month and use the WEEKDAY function on each date; if the the WEEKDAY is the desired result, then you can have the macro write the date to the next empty cell in the column.

Upvote 0
i think possibly
with date in a1
day of week in a2
in b1
Code:
=A1-DAY(A1)+7-WEEKDAY(A1-DAY(A1)-LOOKUP(A2,{"Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday","Sunday"},{0,1,2,3,4,5,6}),3)
in b2 dragged down
Code:
=IF(ISTEXT(B1),"",IF(MONTH(B1+7)<>MONTH($A$1),"",B1+7))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the quick responses. p45cal and martindwilson your solutions work great. I'm leaning towards yours Martin as that appears not to add a 5th day when crossing months. Although, I could ignore the 5th day when the month doesn't equal the month I'm looking for...hmmm...

Now I have to figure out how to fit this into my macro. I simplified what I was trying to do for this question just to get some direction. This helps a ton.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Actually, I posted too soon.

Martin, your solution works great for Monday, but produced incorrect results for Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. #N/A for Friday.

p45cal, yours seems flawless.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
=A1-DAY(A1)+7-WEEKDAY(A1-DAY(A1)-LOOKUP(A2,{"Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday","Sunday"},{0,1,2,3,4,5,6}),3)
For that to work properly the lookup_vector *must* be sorted in ascending order:

LOOKUP(A2,{"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sunday","Thursday","Tuesday","Wednesday"},{6,2,7,1,5,3,4})

the user enters 4/1/2010 into cell A1...(always the first of the month)... and Monday into cell A2.

Try this...

B2:

=A1+7-WEEKDAY(A1-SEARCH(LEFT(A2,2),"xSuMoTuWeThFrSa")/2)

B3 copied down to B6:

=IF(MONTH(B$2+ROWS(B$3:B3)*7)>MONTH(A$1),"",B2+7)

No error checking!

Format as Date

Upvote 0
correct an oversight on my part grr(well it was 2 am here)
but
Code:
LOOKUP(A2,{"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sunday","Thursday","Tuesday","Wednesday"},{6,2,7,1,5,3,4})
needs to be
Code:
LOOKUP(A2,{"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sunday","Thursday","Tuesday","Wednesday"},{4,0,5,6,3,1,2})

Code:
=A1-DAY(A1)+7-WEEKDAY(A1-DAY(A1)-LOOKUP(A2,{"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sunday","Thursday","Tuesday","Wednesday"},{4,0,5,6,3,1,2}),3)

Upvote 0
OK, the macro version as promised.

In the worksheet use as follows:
Code:
=NthWeekday($A$1,$A$2,1)
more generally:

=NthWeekday(MonthYear,DayOfWeek,Nth)

MonthYear any date containing month and year information. Day of month is unimportant; it can be any day.

DayOfWeek a string containing the weekday in English, can be as short as a two-character abbreviation, to the full length of the weekday name. Only the first two characters are used. Upper or lower case, doesn't matter.

Nth, a whole number from 1 upwards, eg. 3 being the 3rd nnnday of the month.

Supported by this in a standard code module:
Code:
Function NthWeekday(MonthYear, DayOfWeek, Nth)
NthWeekday = "Oops!/Empty String/hyphen..  whatever"
FirstOfMonth = DateSerial(Year(MonthYear), Month(MonthYear), 1)
LastOfMonth = CDate(Application.EoMonth(MonthYear, 0))
WeekDayNum = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Left(UCase(DayOfWeek), 2), Array("MO", "TU", "WE", "TH", "FR", "SA", "SU"), 0)
Count = 0
For i = FirstOfMonth To LastOfMonth
  If Weekday(i, vbMonday) = WeekDayNum Then
    Count = Count + 1
    If Count = Nth Then
      NthWeekday = i
      Exit For
    End If
  End If
Next i
End Function
While testing, it showed up a glitch #NAME?'s formulae when looking for the 5th weekday in December (eg, 5th Tuesday, December 2010).

Upvote 0
Looks like you're close #NAME?. When I enter 12/1/2010 as my date and Monday or Tuesday, dates in January (1/3/2011 and 1/4/2011) are returned for the fifth day so I'd still need the error checking--which I don't mind.

p45cal - Thanks! I'll check it out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back