Get values from Userform within other code

gds257

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I have been using vba for a long time to do very simple things (e.g. input boxes and to automate formatting). I'm trying to do something slightly more complicated, and have googled for a long time but can't find the answer - I suspect the problem is that I don't even really know what to put in the search bar!

I'm trying to write a macro whereby you click a button, answer some questions, and this opens up a pre-written email in Outlook. This is what I've got so far, which works fine:

VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
'Brings up Welcome Email template

'get customisation details
Dim name As String
name = InputBox("Contact Person")

'initialise outlook
Dim objOutlook As Object
Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

'set email as object
Dim objEmail As Object
Set objEmail = objOutlook.CreateItem(0)

'define message body
Dim mailbody As String
mailbody = "Thank you for contacting us. Your contact person is " & name & "." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
              "They will be in touch shortly."

'define email details
With objEmail
    .to = "email address"
    .Subject = "Welcome"
    .Body = mailbody
    .Display
End With

'Reset
Set objEmail = Nothing
Set objOutlook = Nothing

End Sub

I want to add to this now, so that when the user clicks the button it brings up a userform with a list of checkbox items which the user can select. I want to set the body of the email to include a series of additional sentences based on the checkbox items. I've set my form up, and have got it to show with all the options available to tick. I just don't know how to get from that form back into the main body of my code and use the inputs - everything I can find on google just talks about using the userform to change the Excel spreadsheet itself, which isn't what I want.

I expect the code to be something like:

VBA Code:
Dim textoption1 As String
    If form.option1.Value = True Then textoption1 = "You have not provided your date of birth."
    else textoption1 = ""

And my mailbody would be:

VBA Code:
mailbody = "Thank you for contacting us. Your contact person is " & name & "." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
              "They will be in touch shortly." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
              textoption1

What I don't know is how I actually get my main code to read what the user has selected in the module, and change the body of the email accordingly. Can anyone advise? As said, I am very much new to anything more complicated than basic message boxes, so apologies if this is a very simple question!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
In case anyone else comes across this with the same problem, I was making (as I expected) a very basic error.

I hadn't set up an 'OK' button to hide the form after the boxes were ticked; I was just closing the form. It appears that once the form is closed, it disappears - selections aren't logged or saved. I set up an 'OK' button with the code:

VBA Code:
userform.hide

Problem solved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back