GetOpenFilename - a strange stuff

grautu

Hi!
My thread is asking not for a valid code but for any hint/comment for properly understanding the GetOpenFilename method in VBA. The following code does work very well but please notice its second line (Dim MY_FILE_NAME ...) is actually commented out (it will be clear later on why).

Code:
Sub Test_GetOpenFilename()
'   Dim MY_FILE_NAME as ???
    MY_FILE_NAME = Application.GetOpenFilename(FileFilter:="Excel (*.xls), *.xls", Title:="Select File")
    If MY_FILE_NAME <> False Then
                ' Here is a completely mind bogging issue: if choosing "=True" instead of "<>False",
                ' then the code will fail to work as expected!!!
       Workbooks.Open Filename:=MY_FILE_NAME
       ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value = MY_FILE_NAME  'Just for seeing
                                                                'how the concrete 
                                                                'value of MY_FILE_NAME
                                                                'looks like
    Else
       MsgBox "No file selected"
    End If
End Sub

REMARKS
-------
(1) The above macro does work and its output (at cells (1,1)) is the full path to the selected filename if the case. See the command ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value = MY_FILE_NAME
(2) If questioning above
Code:
If MY_FILE_NAME = True
instead of ... <> False, then the code wil fail to work properly in that only the Else branch will allways be chosen. Why? I have no idea.
(3) Furthermore, whenever trying to activate the above command
Code:
Dim MY_FILE_NAME as ???
with various ??? instances, then my code was always failing to work: that ??? may not be Boolean or String etc etc. Most likely it must be an Object but I was not able to learn which one, concretely.
==================

QUESTIONS
---------
(1) Is there any valid choice for ??? at Dim MY_FILE_NAME as ??? above?
(2) How to explain the fact that the intuitively correct variant MY_FILE_NAME = True fails to work as expected?
==================

Any comment is kindly appreciated, grateful thanks in advance.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"

Norie

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
1 Try Variant, or just omit the data type and it'll default to that.

2 Not quite sure what you mean. If you select files then a string is returned not a boolean value.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nitmani

This Week's Hot Topics