Getting can't update links error even though all links seem to be updating

Member413043

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have an open workbook with a link to a closed workbook. This link was added using VBA code (e.g. ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("B4") = "='C:\Users\Member413043\Desktop\[Text.xlsx]Sheet1'!B4").

The code works fine and generates the link / gets the data as intended and there is no error when the macro is run. However, when I close and re-open this workbook I get the following error:

"We can't update some of the links in your workbook right now. You can continue without updating their values, or edit the links you think are wrong."

The link still updates and when I check "Edit Links" I see that the source has updated (status is OK).

There are no other external links in the workbook that I am aware of (i.e. no named ranges) - just this one single link.

I have tried deleting all the worksheets in the workbook and manually created a new link on a new worksheet without VBA code and I still get the dialog box if there are any external links in the workbook. The only way to get rid of the dialog box in this workbook is to delete all the external links.

Any suggestions on how to determine why the dialog box keeps appearing would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back