Buck2919

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a problem i'm stuggling to overcome, -

I am trying to get data from a number of files and Power BI is really slow.

The folders i am trying to get DATA from are structed in the following way

Year (3 seperate folders) > Month(12 folders) > Insurers(51 Folders) > individual files (Number of files in some cases 71).
(> = Subfolder)

I assume the file struture and number of files PowerBI has to go through to find my data is the reason for the poor speed.

I can't change the file structure.

Each insurer statement file is formatted differently so i need to model these in the editor.

Does anybody know a way to make this possible - either VBA or PowerQuery. I set about getting the data on a individual insurer basis and look to apend it later but it's still taking too long.

Example of a query for 1 insurer -
Rich (BB code):
let
    Source = Folder.Files("\\MyCompany\dfs\IBA\IRec-Prod\Annotated Statements"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Date.IsInCurrentMonth([Date modified]) or Date.IsInPreviousNMonths([Date modified], 12)),
    #"Inserted Text Between Delimiters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Text Between Delimiters", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([Folder Path], "\", "\", 8, 0), type text),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Inserted Text Between Delimiters", each ([Text Between Delimiters] = "Ace and Chubb")),
    #"Inserted Start of Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows1", "Start of Month", each Date.StartOfMonth([Date created]), type datetime),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Inserted Start of Month",{{"Start of Month", type date}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Text Between Delimiters", "Insurer"}, {"Start of Month", "Date"}}),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Transform File from NIG_Statement_DATA", each #"Transform File from NIG_Statement_DATA"([Content])),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Transform File from NIG_Statement_DATA"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from NIG_Statement_DATA", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from NIG_Statement_DATA"(#"Sample File (6)"))),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Policy", type text}, {"ClaimNumber", type text}, {"DueDate", type date}, {"EffDate", type date}, {"PaymentDueDate", type date}, {"PaymentAgeing", type text}, {"Reference", type text}, {"Insured", type text}, {"Voucher", Int64.Type}, {"Audit No.", type text}, {"Trans", type text}, {"RecType", type text}, {"CCY", type text}, {"Gross", type number}, {"Commission", type number}, {"Tax", type number}, {"Net", type number}, {"SLAccount", type text}, {"AccountName", type text}, {"Lead Status", type text}, {"Settlement Date", type date}, {"Settlement Confirmation File Name", type text}, {"ID", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Thank you very much
Michael

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I'm pretty certain the easiest way would be to use PowerQuery and create a New Query, From File, From Folder. Then point to the Annotated Statements folder - PQ then provides example data which you can manipulate, this is then applied to all files in structure.

I dont have any data to check this with, but it would be where I'd go.

HTH

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Never thought about manipulating the sample file. Thank you i appriciate your resopnse.

Michael

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback - really hope it works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back