Getting data from worksheets in a different folder

BookkeepingDave

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi I was hoping I could ask for some help here.

I am trying to find a way to get data from workbooks that change name, and am looking to see if there is a good way of doing it.

So the situation is we have a client who is posting there takings figures to a workbook in a shared folder in drop box. there are two sheets for different sites and i need to grab these weekly figures put them into a central workbook on our own computer, then upload them.

The table layout is pretty much the same for both sites, with a bit of variation, days along the top, takings for various products down the side, not in a table but individual cells.

The file name is always the same apart from the date changing, so its "Weekly Takings d-m-yy" format.

Is there anyway to get the formulas to pick up the change of date, when it is referencing the folder.

so its
='C:\Users\Patrick\Compnay name dropbox\Bruce\[Till Takings Sheet 2-5-22.xlsx]Wayne Drive'!H$8

But then have it pick the "2-5-22" part of the filename up from a cell, so we can refresh the main sheet and import the data when we want without having to edit all the cells as thats the only part that changes.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back