Getting Excel to Pick and Choose Data based on whether or not a value exists in the cell.

xxsweetwinexx

Hey Guys, -- New to the forum, please forgive me if I do anything wrong. -- I need help getting excel to move data from one worksheet to another. The basis of this project is that a Schedule/Worksheet 1 (and I mean a real work/time schedule with just shifts [ie: 9-6p, 10-2p] placed in cells) will then be placed on a separate sheet that shows just one day at a glance. -- I need excel to recognize whether or not there is a shift on worksheet one, and then if there is, place the data into another worksheet, based on where the data is within the original worksheet. [IMG
][/IMG] This would be worksheet one, where the schedule is built. All information is hand keyed and would change each week. -- I need excel to recognize where there is a value (in this example B10 & B13)
Worksheet2DayBreakDown.png
[/URL][/IMG] And then, import that data on the second worksheet in the appropriate column. -- I'd also need the name to populate with the corresponding values... -- If that doesn't make sense, please feel free to yell at me and simultaneously forgive me for incorrect excel jargon.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
So I don't get to yell at you yet. Do you want a formula or a visual basic solution? It sounds like a visual basic macro.

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to do with a formula? Or does it have to be macro... I'm worried about how well it will then work across the board, as there may be different versions of excel being used.

Upvote 0
In order to auto populate names it probably needs to be a macro. Unless you want to manually populate the names. VBA is pretty robust and should work across the 4 most recent versions (13, 10, 07, 03) pretty well. There might be nuances, but coding it with that in mind should solve them. It just depends how you want it all to work.

Upvote 0
Alright. THEN, can you point me to the right direction on how to make that happen. I don't expect to get an answer for how to do it, as much as I'd just like reading material to help me get there. -- What I've found most frustrating during this, is the fact that I don't know the appropriate jargon to get me to the materials necessary. So, what would you call this to get to the correct reference material on google? Haha. So blonde right now, it hurts. :cool:

Upvote 0
Well, I don't much know where to point. Usually I would recommend pressing "record macro" and then doing whatever it is you want to do. Then, after that, going into the code to understand how it works. I can help you write the code as it seems a pretty straight forward loop. I'm just not entirely sure of your final layout. Is B:B it's own sheet? Or is it it's own column? Where does D:D go or do we not care about that?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back