Getting rid of Tick Marks

gluemthkid

Ok - here's the deal. Some sent me a large spreadsheet with random rows throughout the spreadsheet highlighted in diffierent colors. I have a module that will sort the spread sheet by Color - however it doesn't work on this spreadsheet because - for whatever reason - every cell starts with a tick mark.

I tried to do a replace all - and excel just told me I was crazy.

I even tried going through and manually removing the tick marks - still no luck.

If I export the sheet in to txt and then re-import it I will loose all the highlights...

Any suggestions.

Persistence here may just win the day! Try this: add 0 to all the cells involved.
First, select any empty cell and perform an EDIT | COPY. Then select all the cells
with the annoyance and choose EDIT | PASTE SPECIAL | ADD and click OK.
Not certain if this will do it, but willing to keep offering possible solutions if it can
help you. Larry.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
THANK YOU!!! I have been trying to figure this out myself...:biggrin: The VB Method worked slick!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use the same process as Larry stated above only by multiplying by 1 instead of adding 0. It works for getting rid of leading zeros, hyperlinks, and unsearchable characters, like tick marks. Simply put a 1 in an unused cell, click it and copy the cell, select all cells of interest, paste special and choose multiply.

Upvote 0
Ok - here's the deal. Some sent me a large spreadsheet with random rows throughout the spreadsheet highlighted in diffierent colors. I have a module that will sort the spread sheet by Color - however it doesn't work on this spreadsheet because - for whatever reason - every cell starts with a tick mark.

I tried to do a replace all - and excel just told me I was crazy.

I even tried going through and manually removing the tick marks - still no luck.

If I export the sheet in to txt and then re-import it I will loose all the highlights...

Any suggestions.

I didn't know Excel could say that someone was crazy.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back