Getting the Average of Text from a Table with criteria

APorter09

I have created a template which provides recommendations, and the number of recommendations is very large. I would like to provide a summary sheet which provides an average of the text items (Red, Amber, Green) for each category. I know that you can do this via VBA, but where I am working they do not allow macro enabled excel workbooks! Therefore, i am try to find away to do this through a formula. I have looked around and cannot seem to get anything working, and would appreciate any help

I am also a fan of Excel tables / Listojects, as when used with formulas they automatically capture all the data, so any suggestions with ListObjects would be great

The detailed recommendations is something like the below:-
Category 1C01Red
Category 1C01Amber
Category 2CO2Red
Category 2CO2Red
Category 3CO3Green
Category 3CO3Amber

<tbody>
</tbody>

The summary would something like:-
CategoryAverage Rating
Category 1Red
Category 2Red
Category 3Green

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula would need to only look at the rows for an individual category, then do the average

Thank you all in advance

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
When you say Average Rating, are you thinking about the most common value (Red, Amber or Green) for each category or is there a numeric value behind the colors that could be averaged?

(For example, if Red=1, Amber=2, and Green=3, a category with one Red recommendation and one Green would average Amber, since the average of 1 and 3 is 2)

This can totally change the approach needed to solve your scenario. I would use a PivotTable for the first approach or an AVERAGEIFS for the latter.

Upvote 0
Thank you FranzV. The client is now happy for macros to be embedded, therefore, i have now written some VBA which is working a treat

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back