Ghost formula blocking the screen

Alex Saint

Hello
I am a basic excel user. I use it frequently for budgeting mainly but nothing especially complicated. Basic adding up and taking away, project planning, occasionally I will import an excel spreadsheet as a form into word -- but really nothing complex. Am sure i could use it better, but don't really need to.
Recently 'ghost' formula/links (eg grey cells annotated R2, C3 etc ) have started overlaying themselves across the screen. They don't relate in any way to the workbook I am working on, and aren't 'live'. It is as if a piece of tracing paper has been laid of the top and it is making Excel nearly impossible to use as the screen is obstructed.
I don't know how to identify the spreadsheet that it is pulling from - or how to find out if if I have at some point 'saved' some data in a clipfile maybe that is now misbehaving.
A google search pulled up a thread about this some years back (2012) but am afraid I couldn't understand the answer, which is why I am asking again.
The answer given was "you unprotect a worksheet by using the object model such as worksheets ("sheet2"). Unprotect. If the unprotected worksheet is not the active worksheet, contents from the unprotected worksheet become visible on the current worksheet. This issue continues until there is an action that updates Excel."
That sounds like my problem. But I really need very simple step by step instructions re how to resolve or pointing in the direction of hands-on help and intervention.
Many thanks
Alex - Manchester UK

Hi Alex,

That does look like really odd behaviour. I note you are using Office for Mac. Now I have seen recently some strange goings on with this, for example (and not limited to) freeze panes causing repeating frozen rows. Some fixes I've seen would include running software updates and , in extremes, reinstalling the software. You could perhaps contact Microsoft support to see if they have encountered this issue and if they have any fixes for it.

I hope you get it resolves soon.

Take care

Dave

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Yes I think maybe Mac is the issue - it's the latest version too and I suspect that's the connection.
Will have a go at upgrading again and see if that clears it.
Thankyou for trying
Alex

Upvote 0
It's one thing having the latest version, another thing having it and running the updates to iron out any creases. If you do find a solution it'd be worth posting back for the benefit of others who encounter a similar problem. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back