Go to cell by matching value in a column

gaudrco

Board Regular
Is there a code that will allow me to use a button to go to a cell by matching the value of a list of values cell with the values in column D. When I choose option “Apple” from the drop down and click the button, the code searches column D and locates the cell with “Apple” and goes to that cell.

The code that I have will no longer work.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
The code that I have will no longer work.
What code do you have?
Did it work at one time? What happened to change that? Did you get a new version of Excel or ....?
What are the details of "doesn't work"? Does it do nothing or go to the wrong cell or ....?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with my code was only that I had to manually add each new “go to cell”. Every time I added a new value to the drop down menu, I would have to add it to the vba and specify where to go. That quote really has nothing to do with what I’m asking. I should not have mentioned it as I can see it was confusing

Upvote 0
With no idea of what you're working with I'd guess you'll want to use the Range.Find method.
You could use event code to trigger the macro right away, why do you need a button for it ?

Upvote 0
My spreadsheet is very large so a user will be able to use the data validation dropdown list of values to choose a value then click the button next to it in order to go directly to that spot on the spreadsheet. Column D has the matching values to the list of values. So the logic for the macro would probably be something like this; the value in cell B2 says “Apple”, so search in column D until I find “Apple”, once the matching cell (Apple) is found in column D, GoTo this cell

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming everything is on the same sheet
maybe something along the lines of this
Code:
Sub FromSomeCommandButton()
    Dim srchString As String
    Dim fndRng As Range
If Range("B2").Value = vbNullString Then Exit Sub
srchString = Range("B2").Value
Set fndRng = ActiveSheet.Range("D:D").Find(What:=srchString, LookIn:=xlValues, _
    LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False)
If Not fndRng Is Nothing Then
    Application.Goto fndRng
Else
    MsgBox srchString & "  was not found"
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back