Go to cell location from Cell Address formula

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I think what I am asking is not possible but wanted to confirm this through the excel messiah's.

I am using the CELL formula to locate the the cell address so CELL(ADDRESS(...which all works fine.

Is there an excel workbook option to then click on the result so say I get the result C25 to then take me to that cell rather than having to type it in the name box (top left) or use the CTRL G function.

Many thanks as always
Arts

No it doesn't - VLOOKUP() just returns the value being looked-up. INDEX() when used in the way it is with the Cell("Address"..) function is returning the range being indexed.

If you want to display the results of the VLOOKUP() formula in the cell rather than the address then you can put it in the "friendly_name" argument of the HYPERLINK() function.

i.e.

Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX($C$14:$C$203,MATCH($B$11,$C$14:$C$203,FALSE))),VLOOKUP(.....))

It's never straight forward is it, just when you think you've worked out one thing up pops another aspect to get your head around 😂.

I've always thought INDEX(MATCH was an alternative to VLOOKUP in order to look to the left. Also they would both return the same result ie substitute VLOOKUP with INDEX MATCH and the outcome would be that of the same (result)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
No it doesn't - VLOOKUP() just returns the value being looked-up. INDEX() when used in the way it is with the Cell("Address"..) function is returning the range being indexed.

If you want to display the results of the VLOOKUP() formula in the cell rather than the address then you can put it in the "friendly_name" argument of the HYPERLINK() function.

i.e.

Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX($C$14:$C$203,MATCH($B$11,$C$14:$C$203,FALSE))),VLOOKUP(.....))

Would you be able to explain this a bit more please ? Where I am is that both would return the same value ie if I replaced a vlookup with Index match the (assume the vlookup is working how it should) the result will be the same so why would in the case in the CELL address would the vlookup not gel with CELL(ADDRESS function. I assumed the CELL ADDRESS is being picked up of the result of the lookup.

Arts

Upvote 0
In some situations INDEX() will return a reference to a cell rather than the cells value. VLOOKUP() only returns the cells value.

For example - this sums the values in the range A1:A10:
Excel Formula:
=SUM(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,10))

You can't do the same thing with VLOOKUP()

Upvote 0
In some situations INDEX() will return a reference to a cell rather than the cells value. VLOOKUP() only returns the cells value.

Excel Formula:

Thanks for the extra input, I'll be honest in that the penny hasn't dropped yet not seeing what you're explaining.

I'm only concentrating on the output which is where I'm more than likely tripping up. In the below example both are retuning 65, where you have mentioned Index returns a reference I'm not "seeing" the reference but see the output which in this case is 65. (hope that makes sense in the lens I'm viewing it)

1665502723346.png

1665502702768.png

Excel Formula:

Even with the above you mention INDEX returns a reference but the above would still return a value.

I guess in short I'm not understanding the difference between a reference and a value based on the above examples....

Attachments

• 1665502652011.png
    1665502652011.png
    3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1665502970357.png
    1665502970357.png
  • 1665502988668.png
    1665502988668.png
Upvote 0
I guess in short I'm not understanding the difference between a reference and a value based on the above examples....

In those examples both INDEX() and VLOOKUP() are returning the cells value.

The point is that INDEX() can return a reference to the cell instead. When it's used in the CELL() function it's clever enough to know that it needs a cell reference and returns that instead of the cells value.

Try using the "evaluate formula" function from the "formulas" tab to "evaluate these two formulas:
Book1
ABC
1some text$A$1
2some text
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1C1=CELL("address",INDEX(A:A,1))
C2C2=INDEX(A:A,1)

You'll see that the INDEX() function when inside the CELLS() function returns a cell reference A1 - not the text "A1" but the actual cell reference. Where as the second formula returns the contents on the cell.

Upvote 0
In those examples both INDEX() and VLOOKUP() are returning the cells value.

The point is that INDEX() can return a reference to the cell instead. When it's used in the CELL() function it's clever enough to know that it needs a cell reference and returns that instead of the cells value.

Try using the "evaluate formula" function from the "formulas" tab to "evaluate these two formulas:
Book1
ABC
1some text$A$1
2some text
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1C1=CELL("address",INDEX(A:A,1))
C2C2=INDEX(A:A,1)

You'll see that the INDEX() function when inside the CELLS() function returns a cell reference A1 - not the text "A1" but the actual cell reference. Where as the second formula returns the contents on the cell.
I've said this a lot today but once again thank you soo much for this. This helps a lot.

Upvote 0
Hi all rather then start a new post as it was related to this thought this would be the best way to post.

The formula provided earlier worked but had a quick query, is it possible within the hyperlink aspect of the formula to show the link location and the "friendly name"

The reason I say this is I have "Press here" which takes you to the cell but within the spreadsheet it can be hard to see where the cursor is (due to different coloured cells) so was wondering if it was possible to show "Press here" and then have #$C$10 so in all so you can see what row you should be looking too at first glance.

"Press Here #$C$10"

Hope that makes sense

Arts

Upvote 0
Hi, you can just add the CELL(..) part to the friendly name argument.

Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX($C$14:$C$203,MATCH($B$11,$C$14:$C$203,FALSE))),"Press here "&CELL("address",INDEX($C$14:$C$203,MATCH($B$11,$C$14:$C$203,FALSE))))

Upvote 0
Hi, you can just add the CELL(..) part to the friendly name argument.

Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX($C$14:$C$203,MATCH($B$11,$C$14:$C$203,FALSE))),"Press here "&CELL("address",INDEX($C$14:$C$203,MATCH($B$11,$C$14:$C$203,FALSE))))

That works perfectly! Thank you so much!!

I was adding the cell address after the formula ie =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX($C$14:$C$203,MATCH($B$11,$C$14:$C$203,FALSE)))) & Cell address.....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aveternik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back