Go To column in a selected row?

terrypin

I have a full row selected and I've opened the Go To dialog. The text cursor is at its left end. What do I now type in the Reference field to select the cell in (say) column H please?

Excel-GoTo-1.jpg

Alternatively, how can I get the row number copied to theclipboard, so that I could then enter the specific cell address?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I am a little unclear what you are trying to accomplish with the Go To dialog. You are manually selecting the row, correct? So you know the row number for the cell you want. And obviously you know the column letter because that is what you say you are trying to type into the dialog box somewhere. That means you know the address for the cell you want to ultimately select, correct? Why not simply type that address in the Name Box (the field to the left of the Formula Bar that displays the cell address for the active cell) and then press the Enter Key... that will take you directly to the cell whose address you entered into the Name Box.

Upvote 0
No need selecting the row.

Use the shortcut key Ctrl+G

In the Ref Box just enter G14 and presto you will be taken to G14

Upvote 0
Thanks both. I can see why you'd be perplexed! I should have provided more background, as follows.

I'm not a programmer or confident with VBA, so I write macros (scripts) with a program called Macro Express Pro. I use hundreds of them to improve PC productivity in and between many applications.

The macro prompting my post is intended to automatically copy about 40 values from cells in a worksheet SingleWalk.xlsm into a worksheet WalkIndex.xlsm, which is the sheet in my question. (There are hundreds of sheets to be copied into WalkIndex.)

At the moment I have to include user interaction within my macro, asking for manual entry of the current row number. That's why I want to get the number 'xyz', onto the clipboard, so that my macro can automatically enter Hxyz into the Go To Reference box.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks both. I can see why you'd be perplexed! I should have provided more background, as follows.

I'm not a programmer or confident with VBA, so I write macros (scripts) with a program called Macro Express Pro. I use hundreds of them to improve PC productivity in and between many applications.

The macro prompting my post is intended to automatically copy about 40 values from cells in a worksheet SingleWalk.xlsm into a worksheet WalkIndex.xlsm, which is the sheet in my question. (There are hundreds of sheets to be copied into WalkIndex.)

At the moment I have to include user interaction within my macro, asking for manual entry of the current row number. That's why I want to get the number 'xyz', onto the clipboard, so that my macro can automatically enter Hxyz into the Go To Reference box.
I am still perplexed... you appear to be giving filenames as worksheet names and I am not sure why you are using the Go To dialog box inside of VBA code, but to answer your question, the row number for the row that is selected would be...

ActiveCell.Row

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm confused for sure. You say you have hundreds of scripts you have written but you want to do something with the GOTO box. You should not need to open the GOTO box to go some place you would just write into your script something like Application.Goto

These couple lines of code will take you to Column "C" of the active row.

Code:
Sub Row_Number()
Dim ans As Long
ans = ActiveCell.Row
Application.Goto Cells(ans, 3)
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, I'll try to explain once more, with the help of an illustration.

The worksheet on the left contains data about a single track, including GPS recordings, etc.
That on the right contains one row for every such track.
With a track open on the left I want to automatically copy the contents of about 40 cells to a selected blank line of the Walk Index on the right, in the appropriate columns.
I do not have the skill to write a VBA macro to achieve this. So I am using a high level macro program to do so. That lets me copy a cell to the clipboard (or to a temporary variable) but my question was about then PASTING it to the correct column of the selected row, without user intervention.
With Walk Index active, the keystrokes Alt + e, then g opens the Go To dialog. I am asking whether I can then have my macro enter a string in its Reference box which, when the Return key was entered, would result in the appropriate cell being selected, ready for a clipboard paste command.

Excel-Copy-01.jpg

Upvote 0
Someone else here may be able to help you. Most people here are writing scripts using Vba.

I'm not sure what your using. I have never heard of: Your quote:
"I do not have the skill to write a <acronym title="visual basic for applications">VBA</acronym> macro to achieve this. So I am using a high level macro program to do so.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back