Going Crazy, need real guru

gingerb8956

I am building a template worksheet for use at my office where you can pull a report from my ticketing system, paste the data into one sheet, and another sheet auto populates with the data and automatically reviews it for accuracy.

One of the colums I need to automatically evaluate is a column that contains both numbers and text. The numbers are serial numbers and lead with zeros, so I had to format the column as text to keep the 0 in the 1st postion. What I need is an IF statement to return one value if any of the cells contains any number between 0-9 and then to return another value if there is no number contain in the cell.

I can't say, IF A2=0 or 1 etc, because the numbers range from 4-12 digits and each record is unique. I can't use the Search and Find functions, because if no numbers exists, I get the #VALUE error and can not build a conditional fromat from that. I've tried using =*0, *0*, "*0", "*0*", placing the zero in quotes because it is formatted as text...doesn't work.

I don't have the time to put the spreadsheet on here so I just put a few examples of what the fields look like below. I am crawling the walls, PLEASE send Excel help! Thanks.

1DJ0346D0589 I want to return a 1 for this
1FV0435W0205 I want to retunr a 1 for this
21199049384 I want to retunr a 1 for this
4013B56643 I want to retunr a 1 for this
Brooks I want to retunr a 0 for this
Chartier I want to retunr a 0 for this
Glasco I want to retunr a 0 for this
Green I want to retunr a 0 for this

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
This isn't the most elegant solution but it does prove to work. Assuming the cell you're evaluating is A1:

Code:
=IF(OR(COUNTIF(A1,"*0*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*1*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*2*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*3*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*4*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*5*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*6*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*7*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*8*"),COUNTIF(A1,"*9*"))=TRUE,1,0)

Let me know how it works for you.

Best of luck

Upvote 0
This is also not exactly elegant, and I don't know if I could explain it if I tried, but here goes:

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))),1,0)

Assumes you are looking at cell A1. This would be entered as an array formula, with "CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER"

Here's my attempt to explain...

MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)

This part converts the contents of cell A1 into an array of the characters that make up the string. I'll refer to this as "[CHAR ARRAY]". If A1 contained "AB1" then [CHAR ARRAY] is equivalent to "A,B,1":

VALUE([CHAR ARRAY]) attempts to convert the array of characters to values, for the AB1 example this results in "#VALUE,#VALUE,1":

ISNUMBER(VALUE([CHAR ARRAY])) checks to see if each value in the array is a number and returns true or false. For the AB1 example this results in "FALSE,FALSE,TRUE". I'll refer to the cumulative result so far as "[TRUE/FALSE ARRAY]"

OR([TRUE/FALSE ARRAY]) returns TRUE if any of the array elements are TRUE, and FALSE if they are all FALSE. For the AB1 example it returns TRUE.

All of this is included in a simple IF statement - If the OR formula returns true, the result is 1, else the result is 0.

Enjoy.

Edit to add: I got the "MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)" part of this formula from this site: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/eee/eee007.txt

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is overkill, but here is an attempt to diagram the explanation:
Book4
ABCDEFG
2[TRUE/FALSEARRAY]
4[CHARARRAY]
5{=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))),1,0)}
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Better late than never - combining the COUNTIF logic that dangre provided, and an array of numbers, here's a shorter more elegant formula:

{=IF(OR(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&ROW($1:$10)-1&"*")),1,0)}

Again this is an array formula, entered with "CONTROL-SHIFT-ENTER"

Upvote 0
Great solution Keith :)

Here is one more spin on your CSE formula, in the event that the record is all numeric:

=IF(OR(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&ROW($1:$10)-1&"*"),ISNUMBER(A1)),1,0)

Of course to be confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Happy New Years!
Dan

Upvote 0
Here's a non-array formula that will return 1 if there are any numbers in the cell:

=--(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A1))))>0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back