Golf game calculation

Rock5150

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I calculate manually a golf game called "Rabbits and Squirrels" that rewards golfers for pars (rabbit) and squirrels (Birdie or better)
I want to generate a spreadsheet where each golfer is listed below and calculates any winnings they have, where they won money from a particular hole(s). Each person kicks in $20 to create the total money
A Rabbit is when there is one lone golfer that has the lowest score on a specific hole. That score though must be at least a par. For example in hole #5, Golfer A was the only person to par the hole ("4"). Therefore that person would get a "rabbit".
A Squirrel is when there is one lone golfer that has the 'only' lowest score below par. For example, in Hole #11, Golfer C had a "3" which is two strokes below par. Even though Golfer A and Golfer G got a "4", its not the lowest because Golfer C got a "3" (two strokes below the par 5).
When a person birdies or better a hole, that person can win a squirrel AND a rabbit. In the example besides #11, Hole #17 is an example where one person won a squirrel with a birder on 17 (the only one) and also got the lowest score (rabbit)
However, the important factor is if a rabbit or squirrel was 'held' by someone in a previous hole, that new person would let loose the rabbit and squirrel
Its possible to let loose a rabbit but keep the squirrel
What I tried to do is give a manually calculated example below to provide context.
Total Money
Each person kicks in $20
Each Rabbit is worth $33.33 for every six holes (shaded below)
Each Squirrel is worth $33.33 for every six holes
If the rabbit and/or squirrel is running, it goes to the "skin" pot

Hole123456789101112131415161718
Par445344534454434434
Golfer A446344634444424444
Golfer B555374535555535455
Golfer C556354535535535425
Golfer D435474534454434443
Golfer E454354534454444424
Golfer F455453734454434424
Golfer G565355753445535355
Golfer H455354464454434444
Golfer I455354544454434444
Golfer J455455444454434444

In the above manually calculated for holes 1-6
Hole 1Everything is running
Hole 2Golfer D has a rabbit and squirrel. Picks up a "skin"
Hole 3Golfer E Lets loose the rabbit and squirrel. Picks up a "skin"
Hole 4Everything is running
Hole 5Golfer A picks up a rabbit. Picks up a "skin"
Hole 6Golfer F lets loose the rabbit and wins the squirrel. Picks up a "skin". Wins $33.33 for winning the squirrel. No money collected for the rabbit in this six holes
That $33.33 not collected on the rabbit the first six holes goes to the "skin" pot which is split up among those who pick up a skin for achieving the lowest score on the hole (Golfer D, E, A and F)
Hole 7Everything is running. Even though Golfer H and J birdied, since there were two, everything pushes
Hole 8Everything is running. Multiple golfers parred that hole
Hole 9Golfer G picks up the rabbit and squirrel. Picks up a skin
Hole 10Golfer G maintains the rabbit and squirrel. Golfer didn't bogey that hole and no other golfers had a birdie or lowest score
Hole 11Golfer C now knocks the rabbit and squirrel out since Golfer G had it. Its loose. Golfer C picks up a skin
Hole 12Golfer C loses the rabbit since he bogeyed the hole (shot above par) and there were others who parred hole. However keeps the squirrel.
In this six, Golfer C keeps a Squirrel so gets $33.33. The other $33.33 (Rabbit) was not claimed so goes to skin pot now at $66.66 (the running rabbit from the first six holes plus the running rabbit in 'this' six holes)
Hole 13Everything is running
Hole 14Golfer A picks up rabbit and squirrel. Picks up a skin
Hole 15Everyting is running. Golfer A maintains rabbit as he also parred hole. He would have lost the rabbit had others had a lower score and he didn't
Hole 16Golfer G now knocks the rabbit and squirrel held by Golfer A from Hole 14 off. Rabbit and Squirrel now up for grabs. Picks up a skin
Hole 17The squirrel (birder or better) and rabbit are still 'loose". In this case multiple golfers birdied the hole. In this game you do not split rabbit or squirrel. Must be solo
Hole 18Golfer D wins a rabbit and squirrel. Not only did he birdie the hole, he also got lowest score and wins $66.66. Picks up a skin
The skin pot is $66.66 to be split by the golfers who won a skin on a hole. Again, skins only apply if there are any rabbit and squirrel money left over. Those take priority.
Golfer Dwins 3 skins
Golfer Ewins one skin
Golfer Awins 3 skins
Golfer Fwins one skin
Golfer Gwins 2 skins
Golfer Cwins one skin
$66.66 divided by 11 skins paid to each above based on skin quantity
What do I want
What I want is a spreadsheet where I have the scores in one tab, then or it can be below the scores table / data is list the amount of money won for each golfer. Below I put the manual calculation for rabbit and squirrel. For skins, obviously populate the "per skin" amount and populate the cell accordingly from the example above
Total Pot
$200​

Total RabbitHoles 1-6Holes 7-12Holes 13-18
Golfer A
Golfer B
Golfer C
Golfer D33.33
Golfer E
Golfer F
Golfer G
Golfer H
Golfer I
Golfer J

Total SquirrelHoles 1-6Holes 7-12Holes 13-18
Golfer A
Golfer B
Golfer C33.33
Golfer D33.33
Golfer E
Golfer F33.33
Golfer G
Golfer H
Golfer I
Golfer J

Total skins123456789101112131415161718
Golfer A
Golfer B
Golfer C
Golfer D
Golfer E
Golfer F
Golfer G
Golfer H
Golfer I
Golfer J

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Its complicated. I think you need to use a combination of IFS functions, MINIFS. You'd need a column for each hole. Say Row 4 col B,
=if(B4>$B$2,"", IF(B4=$B$2,"Rabbit", if(B4=minifs(B:B, B2),"Squirrel"))). That would tell you for each hole who got what. You'd then need an extra set of columns, for each hole for hole 3 which would be Column V, =if(V2>MINIFS(D:D.D2), "",AND(D4>$D$2,"", IF(D4=$D$2,"Rabbit"), if(D4=minifs(D:D,"Squirrel"))))
The parenthesis are probably ****ed up but you'll hopfully get the drift for each hole.
For the next bit you need a column that counts skins. Assuming the second set of columns is AA-AO, for each row "=COUNTIFS($AA2-$AO2,"?*") will tell you how many skins they won in each round. The sum of them will tell you how many to divide the whole pot for for each golfer for each round. These will go in AP:BG. You can then sum up the amount for each golfer, in BH2:BJ2 =SUM(AP2:AU2), =SUM(AV2:BA2), =SUM(BB2:BG2) and copy down.

My columns may not be right, but I hope you have something to start with.

Luckily I'm not a vegan. Do the winners get to eat bbqed the skinned bunnies and squirrels? I'm rubbish at golf (the best I ever scored was par+66, I ended up on several different holes) but i'd come to the bbq.

Hope that's of some use as a starter (or main course)

Upvote 0
Its complicated. I think you need to use a combination of IFS functions, MINIFS. You'd need a column for each hole. Say Row 4 col B,
=if(B4>$B$2,"", IF(B4=$B$2,"Rabbit", if(B4=minifs(B:B, B2),"Squirrel"))). That would tell you for each hole who got what. You'd then need an extra set of columns, for each hole for hole 3 which would be Column V, =if(V2>MINIFS(D:D.D2), "",AND(D4>$D$2,"", IF(D4=$D$2,"Rabbit"), if(D4=minifs(D:D,"Squirrel"))))
The parenthesis are probably ****ed up but you'll hopfully get the drift for each hole.
For the next bit you need a column that counts skins. Assuming the second set of columns is AA-AO, for each row "=COUNTIFS($AA2-$AO2,"?*") will tell you how many skins they won in each round. The sum of them will tell you how many to divide the whole pot for for each golfer for each round. These will go in AP:BG. You can then sum up the amount for each golfer, in BH2:BJ2 =SUM(AP2:AU2), =SUM(AV2:BA2), =SUM(BB2:BG2) and copy down.

My columns may not be right, but I hope you have something to start with.

Luckily I'm not a vegan. Do the winners get to eat bbqed the skinned bunnies and squirrels? I'm rubbish at golf (the best I ever scored was par+66, I ended up on several different holes) but i'd come to the bbq.

Hope that's of some use as a starter (or main course)
Ok thanks for the input. Let me try it out. I know it’s complicated because of the “knocking” of and distributing unused funds. Yea we call it rabbit and squirrels but maybe I’ll call it spinach and carrots lol

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelhelp12345

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back