GOOGLE SHEETS: SUMIF with multiple range columns and multiple sumrange columns?

slam

I have a spreadsheet set out with 10 unique text entries in column A (row 2 through 11), and the same values in column C & E. In B, D, & F, I have a corresponding value that I am trying to sum. The easy solution is to put them all in one column, and use a basic sumif, but the spreadsheet needs to be laid out this way. How can I get it to work over multiple columns for both the range and sumrange? N2, N3, and so on is my criteria I'm matching it to. Here's where I'm at with the formula:

=sumif((A$2:A$11,C$2:C$11,E$2:E$11),N2,(B$2:B$11,D$2:D$11,F$2:F$11))

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or is this not possible with sumif?

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

steve the fish

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Re: SUMIF with multiple range columns and multiple sumrange columns?

You could do this:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT({"A$2:A$11","C$2:C$11","E$2:E$11"}),N2,INDIRECT({"B$2:B$11","D$2:D$11","F$2:F$11"})))

or simply add 3 sumif formulas together.

slam

You could do this:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT({"A$2:A$11","C$2:C$11","E$2:E$11"}),N2,INDIRECT({"B$2:B$11","D$2:D$11","F$2:F$11"})))

or simply add 3 sumif formulas together.
Well, that does indeed work perfectly in Excel, and I assumed it would in googlesheets too, but that's not the case :(

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows

Well, that does indeed work perfectly in Excel, and I assumed it would in googlesheets too, but that's not the case
Is this an Excel or a Google Sheets problem? Note that they are NOT the same thing, and do not necessarily work the same.

If you post Google Sheets questions, be sure to mention that in the title and/or post, and it should be posted to the "General Excel Discussion & Other Questions" forum, and not the "Excel Questions" forum.
I can move this thread for you, if this in indeed a Google Sheets question.

slam

Is this an Excel or a Google Sheets problem? Note that they are NOT the same thing, and do not necessarily work the same.

If you post Google Sheets questions, be sure to mention that in the title and/or post, and it should be posted to the "General Excel Discussion & Other Questions" forum, and not the "Excel Questions" forum.
I can move this thread for you, if this in indeed a Google Sheets question.
Yes, my apologies for not specifying. I have access to both, which is why I was able to see it worked in Excel, but not googlesheets. I wouldn't have expected something like this would behave differently in each.

That said, I have found an alternative solution in googlesheets, by reworking the layout of data, so I don't need to pursue a solution any further. Thank you for your time.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilnil1

This Week's Hot Topics