Gradually Increasing a Weekly Numbers

SullivanNJD

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello! hoping to get a little help here. We had created a monthly forecast/budget and recently began tracking everything on a weekly basis, so I essentially turned the total month number into weekly numbers on a straight line basis. This resulted in many weeks having the same amount, due to the straight line.

I'd like to have it set up so that each week gradually increases (i.e last week is less than current week and so on) while still keeping our total amount the same. I'm sure theres an easy way to do this that I am missing.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Weekly image.JPG
    Weekly image.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 9

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi SullivanNJD,

Welcome to MrExcel!!

You could have another tab where you list your revenue and expense account numbers down Col. A their total in Col.B and then their weekly allocations across columns C to F slowly increasing to 100 percent like so for instance:

12% 20% 30% 38%

You would then use VLOOKUP to multiply the forecast/budget by each percentage from its week/column. So say your allocations are in Sheet1 starting from cell A2 and the account, amount and allocations were in Sheet2 across columns A to F, you'd use these formulas in Sheet1 (change the references to suit):

Cell B2: =VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A:$F,3,FALSE)
Cell B3: =VLOOKUP($A3,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A3,Sheet2!$A:$F,4,FALSE)
Cell B4: =VLOOKUP($A4,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A4,Sheet2!$A:$F,5,FALSE)
Cell B5: =VLOOKUP($A5,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A5,Sheet2!$A:$F,6,FALSE)

Hope that helps,

Robert

Upvote 0
Hi SullivanNJD,

Welcome to MrExcel!!

You could have another tab where you list your revenue and expense account numbers down Col. A their total in Col.B and then their weekly allocations across columns C to F slowly increasing to 100 percent like so for instance:

12% 20% 30% 38%

You would then use VLOOKUP to multiply the forecast/budget by each percentage from its week/column. So say your allocations are in Sheet1 starting from cell A2 and the account, amount and allocations were in Sheet2 across columns A to F, you'd use these formulas in Sheet1 (change the references to suit):

Cell B2: =VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet2!$A:$F,3,FALSE)
Cell B3: =VLOOKUP($A3,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A3,Sheet2!$A:$F,4,FALSE)
Cell B4: =VLOOKUP($A4,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A4,Sheet2!$A:$F,5,FALSE)
Cell B5: =VLOOKUP($A5,Sheet2!$A:$F,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP($A5,Sheet2!$A:$F,6,FALSE)

Hope that helps,

Robert

Thanks - are you suggesting to run the increasing allocations on the monthly amounts or will it work on the weekly numbers as I showed in the image I uploaded?

Upvote 0
The monthly amount would go into cell B2 and its weekly allocation in cells C2:F2 of Sheet2.

Upvote 0
The monthly amount would go into cell B2 and its weekly allocation in cells C2:F2 of Sheet2.

Got it thanks - I think the tricky thing for me is dealing with the "overlapping" weeks because we analyze Monday-Sunday. For example the week beginning April 27 is 4/27 - 5/3. Because we budgeted on a monthly basis - that week weights the April and May budgeted amounts, if that makes sense

Upvote 0
That does complicate things. Might need a formula in cell B2 of Sheet2 proportioning out the budget amount based on the the number of days for that week i.e. 4/30 x April budget total + 3/31 x May budget total and use that the amount you then allocate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back