Graph average

whalterman

How can I insert the average of a line graph into the graph? Not a trend line, but the total average?
Thanks

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
In 2003 or earlier, simply click the chart then type = and click in the cell containing the average.

AFAIK, in 2007 this capability has been "depracated." One can still link any chart element (data label or chart title) to a cell but not a text box. It seems that as soon as something becomes a common Office feature, functionality suffers.

To link a data label or a title see
Data Labels
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_labels/index.html
and
Dynamic Chart Title
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_chart_title/index.html

Upvote 0
Okay, that works, but I am inputing data weekly for this graph and I'd like for the text box in the graph with the average to update when I enter a new piece of info. Also, since I am inputing data continuously the columns are becoming very large, and I'd like to have the average at the top of the columns. How can I put the average up there and have it update when I enter a new piece of info.? Rather than at the bottom.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Okay, that works, but I am inputing data weekly for this graph and I'd like for the text box in the graph with the average to update when I enter a new piece of info. Also, since I am inputing data continuously the columns are becoming very large, and I'd like to have the average at the top of the columns. How can I put the average up there and have it update when I enter a new piece of info.? Rather than at the bottom.
Thanks
I don't understand either of your questions. If you have linked something in a chart to a cell, the chart display will update when the cell updates.

As far as a cell being at the top rather than at the bottom, a cell is a cell. You can enter the AVERAGE formula in any cell top, bottom, left, right, or any combination thereof.

Upvote 0
When the ave. is displayed at the bottom under the column, and I input new data at the bottom of the column, the ave. updates. When I have the ave. at the top using the same block of cells and input new data at the bottom of the coulmn, it does not update the ave. at the top. It puts the little green triangle in the corner of the cell with the average. When I click the drop down menu of the triangle, it gives me the option of "updating the formula to include cells" This then updates the average in the cell. Is this any clearer? I think I have it so it will update the graph with the cell now.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Select your data, and convert it to a Table. Then your formula above the table that averages all the rows of the table will update as the table expands.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back