graphical user form design unexpectedly resizes for no reason (!!?)

6diegodiego9

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a dual screen with different resolutions and often my userform size gets unwantedly resized for absolutely no apparent reason (surely I don't change any property or code at all when it happens)

This:
1615218398067.png

suddenly and unexpectedly becomes this:
1615218481270.png

How can I prevent this to happen?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Make the display settings the same on both monitors.

I understand that this could be a workaround but they're two completely different monitors: one is my laptop integrated monitor, the other is a big external monitor with a higher resolution. As you can understand, it's not acceptable to me to lower the resolution on the bigger monitor just to make the user form stay stable.
What makes me crazy is that the user form appearance (graphic and font sizes) doesn't stay stable even on the same monitor :(

Upvote 0
The first thing to try would be the first Option. The last 2 likely won't help much.

1. File > Options >General section > Optimize for Compatibility
2. File > Options > Advanced > Display section > Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration
4. Start > type Ease of Access Magnifier Settings > select it and adjust the setting.

Upvote 0
Kenneth, I forgot to mention that there are about ten different users with different PC/screens who will use my VBA script with the user form.
Is it generally accepted that VBA user forms will show differently (and badly deformed too, not just zoomed) depending on the user screen settings?

Upvote 0
I have not seen it but some links looking at your problem showed that to be the case.

I would try (1) for yourself and then recommend it to others if that have issues.

Upvote 0
It'll be the scaling of the screen rather than the resolution. I suspect that if they're both at 100% you won't have the issue, it's becoming more of an issue where people have hi-dpi laptop screens and regular dpi monitors (you can of course have both, but externally scaled monitors are less common as hi-dpi monitors are expensive).

The key giveaway here is that the screenshot from one of your devices is 2x the size of the other.

Do you perchance have a better laptop than most of the people who will be using the workbook? If so, this may not be an issue. This is a common problem in windows, it doesn't deal with differing zoom settings on different monitors well, especially when using older software that's bitmap based.

Upvote 0
I have not seen it but some links looking at your problem showed that to be the case.

I would try (1) for yourself and then recommend it to others if that have issues.
I'm trying this now and I'm still not sure about the results because I didn't find a certain way to reproduce the problem.
However, the users are not IT experts and they don't know me personally, so I can't expect them to ask me for help and to modify this setting just to adjust a graphical issue of my little script :(

Upvote 0
It'll be the scaling of the screen rather than the resolution. I suspect that if they're both at 100% you won't have the issue, it's becoming more of an issue where people have hi-dpi laptop screens and regular dpi monitors (you can of course have both, but externally scaled monitors are less common as hi-dpi monitors are expensive).

The key giveaway here is that the screenshot from one of your devices is 2x the size of the other.

Do you perchance have a better laptop than most of the people who will be using the workbook? If so, this may not be an issue. This is a common problem in windows, it doesn't deal with differing zoom settings on different monitors well, especially when using older software that's bitmap based.

It could be the scaling but I would expect the visualization differences to just happen on the execution level, while they seem to applied on the code as well instead, de facto corrupting it. I'm confused...

Upvote 0
Both screen resolution and dpi settings will affect the userform size across pc's. Here's a link to some code. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back