Graphing Formulas

Robby87

Board Regular
Have several ranges of data that are input as "###-###" I am trying to graph. Doing a High - Low - Mid so I needed to separate them.
Used a =LEFT( and =RIGHT( formula to grab the numbers from....the left and right...

Manual inputs worked, but once I have the formulas (=LEFT('Sheet1!'G22,3) for example, in the cell the graph just goes to 0 and stops reading the numbers.

Any reason why excel cannot graph these values, even when the cells are formatted as numbers?

Please help!!

Rob

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi Rob

Formats are aesthetics, it's to make it look nice to you. Excel usually uses the values, not the formats.

I believe the values are in this case text values, as Left() is a string function.

Confirm it writing in a cell

=ISNUMBER(cell reference)

Try converting them to numbers. In a cell formatted as General or Number, use instead

=VALUE(LEFT('Sheet1!'G22,3))

or

=LEFT('Sheet1!'G22,3) + 0

as an arithmetic operation causes a automatic conversion of the operands to number.

Upvote 0
That is possibly the easiest fix ever... I suppose I should bother to actually learn some more of the basics of excel so that I don't have to bug you guys for stuff like this.
(yes, your solution works 100%)

Thanks for the suggestion and the explanation of the mechanics!! Always get great help on this board!!

Hope someone else can be helped by this.

Thanks,
Rob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back