graphing over blank empty cells ... i.e., skipping blank cells

gary747

I have created a graph to show readings over time and I use the option to skip over empty or blank cells.
Problem is that my formula to create empty cells is not creating truly empty or blank cells.
The example formula is =IF(A1=3,A1,"") ... The =IF statement checks cell A1 and if it finds anything other than 3 then I want the formula to return an empty cell.
My graph presently sees the "" as a "0" and causes the graph to use "0" for the data point. If I go back and manually clear the contents the graph works great. So what can I use for the if false code side to return a truly blank or empty result so the graph skips over this cell if it is blank?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Welcome to the board.

Try =IF(A1=3, A1, NA())

Upvote 0
That works great for the graph.... It leaves #N/A in the cell... it there a way to leave the cell blank? if not I can live with the #N/A because my graph is now working. Thanks.

Upvote 0
No way I know of.

You're welcome.

Upvote 0
hi,

Are you asking to have it blank because of the showing of the na() in your data range. As that's the case you might solve that by conditional formatting your data range with a formula which formats the cell-font to white (or any other color depending the background color)

Upvote 0
Yes, the graph is working as intended now but the data range is now showing #N/A as a result of the formula. So now the column results either show a number (which is what I want) or if it is a blank it is now showing #N/A, not sure how to use conditional formatting that would color the cell white if it sees the #N/A but that would solve this issue.

Upvote 0
OK I figured it out.... First make the cells all white so nothing shows up... then use conditional formatting that sets everything above 1 to black text and it now only shows the values in the results.....
THANKS to everyone who contributed :) YOU MADE MY DAY...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back