Graphing Points on a Graph

MarkAlmighty

I need some assistance.

Here's the details....1. I have a graph of stock prices over about 10 years (X-axis = date, Y-axis = stock price). 2. I want to plot points (Dates) on that graph. 3. There are about 100 dates I want to plot on the graph, so I don't really want to manually insert points. Does anyone know how I might accomplish this? Thanks!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I'm sorry, but your request isn't clear to me. What do you mean when you say that you want to plot points on the graph? Your graph already consists of points doesn't it? So what points are you talking about here?

Upvote 0
Well, the graph consists of dates (every day) on the X-axis and stock prices (for those days) on the Y-axis in the form of an area chart. However, there are about 100 days (within the days graphed above) that represent a special event and I would like to note those by a marker/point on the graph.

Upvote 0
In an adjacent empty column, in the first row that contains a 'highlight' day, enter the formula ={cell containing actual value for that day}. Next, copy the cell with the newly-entered formula. In the same (new) column, select every cell that will corresponds to a highlighted day. Paste.

Select all three columns and create a Line chart (I assume that's what you want). Format the 2 series as desired.

Well, the graph consists of dates (every day) on the X-axis and stock prices (for those days) on the Y-axis in the form of an area chart. However, there are about 100 days (within the days graphed above) that represent a special event and I would like to note those by a marker/point on the graph.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back