Graphing Question - Area Graph with 2 variables

sooroo

Hello,

I am trying to create an Area graph in Excel 2000.

Here is my data series:

Average Turnaround Time for Phase 1, 2, 3: 35, 65, 70
Total Projects in Phase 1, 2, 3: 19, 32, 17

I want Turnaround time to be on the X axis and Total Projects to be on the Y axis. Then I want the 3 Phases to flow into each other, i.e. the first phase is 35 units wide, the 2nd phase picks up where the last one dropped off and is 65 units wide and so on.

I want to be able to tell from the width which phases take longer and from the height, which phase is the most populous. I've been searching for a while, and I can't find a good way to do this. Ideally it would be an area graph, but columns would work too if their widths could be manipulated.

Thanks so much for the sounding board. :eek:

Sorry, I don't understand. Is it required to name the cell that has this formula or is it optional? I've named cells before, and I know it can be useful, but I am still having trouble with this function.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
No, the formula is not entered in a cell. It is entered in the Names dialog box. See the step by step instructions in the two links I posted earlier or see Stephen's working example.

Upvote 0
I think I'm getting it! I have been able to enter the new series and graph them on the sheet. However, the problem I'm having is when they are displayed, all the new series are black in color, even though the legend says that they should be various bright colors.

I don't know if this is because I added them to the chart on the tab where you name the series and put in labels for the x axis. I have been trying to look for answers to this, but I haven't found a solution yet. Since I don't know how to replicate this graph, (I am only modifying his model), I can't figure out what is going on because much of the data is not shown.

Thanks to Tushar for getting me this far, but I still have a little ways to go!
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Never mind, it was a user error. I never thought I would be able to complete this.. but it's done!

Many thanks to Tushar and Mr Excel board!! :pray:

Upvote 0
You are welcome and congratulations on your perseverence. It paid off in the end, didn't it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back